1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Frogspawn

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Honey Bee, Feb 26, 2007.

1. cobbybrook

cobbybrook Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    WOW!!!!! Double-yolkers!!!!

With the wonderful weather this weekend, the boys (and me) spent quite a bit of time by the pond, clearing up little bits of leaf, etc... in the process we found 3 frogs well hidden!!!! and we have put the taddies in the pond too..... I'm a little embarrassed to say I think I shouted and jumped up and down a little more than the kiddies when we found the frogs... [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Don't be Honey Bee, we promise not to tell anyone!

4. lynne

lynne Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to transplant frog spawn from one pond to another - or did I make that up!?

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Apperently you should never move frogspawn after the 1st full moon, after it was laid... They will always try & go back to that same original pond, after that, once they have hatched & become frogs... They have some sort of magnetic homing sense from the full moon..!!! That was on radio 4 a few weeks back now..!!!

6. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    That's very interesting, I didn't know that.

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I don't know who said that on radio 4 Marley but I don't think it's true the frogs pick up their homing instincts because they stay in the same general area were the pond they grew up in is located they hibernate and feed in the same vicinity, toads have a much stronger homing sense and will travel great distances to get back to their pond but then again they span out over a much bigger area once they have bred in their home pond.
    Lynne there should be no problem moving spawn from one pond to another as long as the ponds are basically the same makeup ie water quality, the pond you move them to is not full of predators or is likely to dry up

8. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] It was on a wildlife program Walnut... on a lunchtime slot at 1.30 a few weeks back now. Toads apparently are affected by it more than frogs, but frogs are affected... That is the reasons they gave anyway as to not moving spawn... I can say no more than that.. I have frogs & spawn every year but no idea if it is the same lots of frogs every year....!!!! ;) :D :D

9. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    there are several reasons why it isn't really reccomended to move frogspawn [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The main reason is to prevent the spreading of viruses and diseases. Also, there is the risk that you are actually moving the spawn of a protected species. The place where you are moving it to may not be suitable, and once the taddies are frogs, they may not survive, etc, etc.......
    I think if you are sensible, and obviously don't move ALL the spawn from a pond, and only take a little, it shouldn't matter.... I like to think I was doing good by bringing frogs into my garden, and I won't, hopefully need to bring any more in.....

..... as it so happens, we found 3 big frogs at the weekend hiding in the pond, so next year, they may spawn!!!!

10. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    I noticed that a few frogs were playing around in the pond yesterday afternoon and again today. I managed to get 2 shots of two on the lawn a while ago. Won't be long now before lots more arrive and start courting.

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I have set up colonies of frogs and newts all over the place and very successfully too yes some species are protected but unfortunately not from some kids,one place near me they dredge it out and spread it over the footpaths they think its fun I move it before they get chance to spoil it all its either that or drown the little b******s (the kids that is)

12. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ohhh I am so glad that I stumbled along this topic! :D I have been a froggy fan for years and can't wait until I build a pond in my new garden! For now I have to make do with these little boys on my desk at work:

[​IMG]

I have a question though. We are building my pond this summer and my garden is surrounded by high fences with stone at the bottom - can frogs get into my garden still? :confused:

13. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When I looked in the pond today frogs have spawned. I counted 12 frogs its a kind of now you see it now you dont.I have not seen a frog for a while in the pond now there are 12 of them.

14. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,489
    It depends how high the fence is. Some terrestrial frogs can climb as a pic on this site last year proved but I think that was a chain link fence, there would need to be some gaps for them (but not for anything else. [​IMG]

15. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can I jump in? I'm wanting some toadspawn and have checked loads of ponds locally but can't find any. Can anyone post a photo of some so I know exactly what to look for?