1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fruit tree winter wash ANTI APHID!!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by caskin, Oct 5, 2009.

1. caskin

caskin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Earlier in the year I submitted a post regarding a distressed Victoria plum tree.After excellent advice from the forum I discovered the root cause was over wintering aphids eggs hatching and virtually destroying the tree.
    Further advice was to apply a winter wash to prevent the problem occurring.As we are now fast approaching winter can the Forum please advise which winter wash would be suitable,the time of year to be applied and how mnay times need I carry out the treatment...Many thanks.:cnfs:

2. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    As I understand it, the tar washes of old are no longer available because of EU regulations, so you're left with something like 'Winter Tree Wash' by Growing Success.

You shouldn't attempt to treat any tree whilst there are still leaves on it as the spray will scorch them, so this is a job which must only be done when the tree is fully dormant. For the same reason, I believe it's a good idea to protect grass or plants growing beneath the tree as well - a sheet of 4 x 5 metre tarpaulin will cost you about £10.

There seem to be differing opinions on the number of applications required, most suggest at least two - the first in December and another in January, with a third (optional spraying) in February. Choose a very calm day or the spray will drift and you'll need to thoroughly soak the whole tree as the eggs you're trying to kill will be in the tiniest of nooks and crannies. I'm not sure how big your tree is, but it might be an idea to consider buying (or if you can - hire) some sort of long-reach spraying lance to ensure you get right into the middle of the very top - Oh! And you might want to wear something waterproof with a hood too, - you can very wet spraying trees!

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Funny, the same question was asked on Gardener's Question Time last week and the advice seemed to be that power washing had exactly the same effect, as far as removing dead bark and canker are concerned. Maybe worth a try?

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
  5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Don't tell anyone but I still use Jeyes Fluid :wink:

6. caskin

caskin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Many thanks to you for all contributing to my thread.....Fidgetsmum gave me the clue as 'Winter Tree Wash' by Growing Success,this is the only recommended tree wash by RHS as all others are noew outlawed.

I have obtained a long reach low pressure lance and the tree will be liberally treated Jan/feb and March....it really has to be done as for three years I have watched the aphids reek havoc on this plum tree and almost kill it,it was only the advice from this forum that with the aid of a magnifying glass directed me to the cause of the problem and this winter will be my first attack at solving so it will be all out WAR!!!:yho:

I shall definitly dress for the occasion!!!:gnthb: