1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fruits - care and harvesting

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Fat Controller, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,622
    Things are looking good on the fruit front for us this year, particularly for raspberries and loganberries - Mrs C has been harvesting them fairly continuously for weeks now, and the raspberry plants have gone from being mere sticks to being large happy looking plants and have put up loads of suckers all over the place (which are quite welcome).

We have a small handful of gooseberries on one plant (I have two plants, both in their first year in the garden), and the same for blackcurrants (again, two plants both in their first year).

The plum tree has loads of wee plums on it, so here's hoping they increase in size and we actually get to eat some this year.

And the blueberries are starting to ripen too.

However, as many of you know, I have the memory capacity of a ZX Spectrum and cannot for the life of me remember what I should prune and when?

Oh, and how do I know when the gooseberries are ready to pick?

• Like Like x 3
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,095
      A strange year for me.
      Plums 0
      Nashi 0
      Apples a few
      Pears0
      Blueberries minimal
      Gooseberies plenty
      Redcurrants didnt set so 0
      Blackcurrants a few (heaving with fruit last year so exhausted ? )
      Raspberries are hanging in fruit as there are loads of bumble bees on them but 0 bees.

• Like Like x 1