1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fungus Gnats in New Raised Bed

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Nikos Koukos, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Nikos Koukos

Nikos Koukos Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all

Really hoping someone may be able to help me out. I've recently built my first raised bed and was in the process of adding my soil mix. I was operating with approx. 50/50 ratio top soil to standard compost. Recently I got access to some mushroom compost and added it as a soil amendment.

However today I noticed lots of black fly's which I have since identified as Fungus Gnats. I'm really gutted as I was hoping to plant in the bed this weekend but now obviously don't know what I should be doing. Can someone please help me?

Thanks
    Nick

Attached Files:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,192
    They are quite harmless. They like wet compost so letting it dry out will cut down their numbers. What are you planning to grow there?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Nikos Koukos

Nikos Koukos Gardener

Ratings:
      +12
      I have noted that the soil is damp and warm. Perhaps if I keep turning it and airing the soil out as best I can. Would you advise covering it before scheduled rain?

I'm planning on growing red cabbage, Brussel sprouts and either beets or leeks

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,616
      In potted plants, using a mixture of peroxide and water will kill the larvae/flies but it is not feasible for an entire bed. @JWK is right. No liquid, no bugs.

And when things heat up, they don't do so well. Summer is your friend :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Nikos Koukos

Nikos Koukos Gardener

Ratings:
        +12
        So my biggest concern is should I plant in this bed or hang off?

Is there anything I can do to try the bed out faster?

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,616
        Forgot to mention that I spread a layer of sand to completely cover the surface of the soil in my pots. . They do not like that. If you have access to inexpensive sand, that would take care of them and later it just sinks in later on anyway :)

• Like Like x 1
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,342
          Don't worry about the fungus gnats and don't cover to keep the rain off. I would just put your brassica plants in as you get them, same goes for beet, leeks and anything else. The fungus gnats will go as the bed settles down.

• Like Like x 1
          • Nikos Koukos

Nikos Koukos Gardener

Ratings:
            +12
            So I have come.outside early this morning. It's cold here. Fresh and crisp. No sign of the gnats but I have been getting a lot of steam from my raised bed when I turn the soil. Any ideas

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,206
            Probably two things, you mixed up several media and they may be reacting and generating heat so that causes the steam when you turn it over .
            Also your composts will be acting like a blanket keeping the heat in.
            Did you put any real manure or your own garden compst in as well, they will generate a lot of heat.

Not sure why you need to turn it over this morning ? once you have got it all in then you really want it to settle, no need at all to keep areating the soil , thats just going to do more damage than good.

If you are going to grow brassicas then they need very firm soil, so would suggest you rake it over to your desire level and let it settle down naturally.

BBC - Gardening - Gardening Guides - Techniques - Growing cabbages and brassicas

hth

• Like Like x 1
            • Nikos Koukos

Nikos Koukos Gardener

Ratings:
              +12
              Wow this actually sounds like you've nailed it. I'm really new to this and read so much conflicting advice so I've tried to have a balanced soil. Maybe I've overdone it.

I've basically blended composts with top soil and also had some real manure in there also. Not a lot but altogether it's maybe been to much. I thought I wanted to air the soil to try and dry it slightly.

So you think I should now tap it down and leave it be? If so for how long before planting in it?

Additionally just to note I was merely trying to mix soils. Was this wrong.

Thanks
              Nick

• glengarry23

glengarry23 Head Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +5,251
              @Nikos Koukos ,

Hi Nikos,..no you were not wrong to mix soils though it sounds like too much compost and manure,..any manure or compost heap generates so much heat that steam can be seen emitting,..for the future less manure for a start,..otherwise all will be well,..as others have posted let the soil dry out a bit before planting or sowing,..ignore the Gnats.

• Nikos Koukos

Nikos Koukos Gardener

Ratings:
              +12
              Honestly as always this forum proves to be the fountain of knowledge. I'll do exactly this and let it rest. Thanks for the help everyone

• Like Like x 1