1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden hose coupling slipping from hose

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Nicholas Burman, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Nicholas Burman

Nicholas Burman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

I water my garden using a hose fitted with Claber (I guess the brand is known in the UK) hose couplings. However I have a problem, the hose couplings keep slipping from the hose itself, no matter how much force I apply to the nut. Anyone facing the same problem and what could be a solution?

Cheers Nicholas

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Are you saying the plastic grips are not securing when the nut forces them onto the hose?
    What hose is it?
    Is the adaptor the right size for the hose diameter?

Have you cut the hose end and retried, if the old end section is stretched it will not be a tight fit.

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,169
      I have this problem with an older hose pipe which seems slighty smaller outside diameter. I wrap PTFE tape around the hose to get a better grip

• Like Like x 1
      • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411
        Cut an inch off the hose then rough up the surface with some sandpaper. Most couplings are only "hand tight" and it depends how much turning force you can apply. Whenever I've faced the same problem a couple of mole wrenches "turned gently" have fixed it, but you have to be careful not to strip the thread, it's easily done.

• Like Like x 1
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,946
          Some times a bit of gresse or Vaseline on the taper of the tighting nut helps to get it tighter as sometimes plastic on plastic can get dry/rough and not do up any more

• Agree Agree x 1