Garden pond number 2

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by martin-f, Mar 29, 2018.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,834
    They only need cover and water to hide in from predators, lucius, and to be able spawn safely. They'll forage for food within the garden itself and I often see a Frog or two in the borders.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
      Ratings:
      +6,899
      @martin-f @ARMANDII I should have articulated what I meant more clearly. I was referring to the pond itself and it's ability to support tadpoles if I had spawn. My garden is reasonably wildlife friendly already, so adult Frogs would be fine. The pond has only 4 marginal plants at present, all quite small. There are 2 bunches of Elodea Crensa. There is no insect life as of today that I have been able to spot. The water is still very cold and has turned an interesting shade of brownish green. I understand that this ' new pond syndrome ' as it's referred to is quite normal but I also read that the water can become oxygen depleted and any tadpoles would die. As keen as I am to have wildlife in my pond I don't want to rush blindly ahead ( not literally ) and make mistakes that could harm the wildlife. If I have to wait, I have to wait. Although I doubt I will be able to stop myself from peering into it's depths every day - sorry ARMANDII :heehee: :loll:. For some reason I find it absolutely fascinating :rolleyespink:.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
        +10,302
        Your concerns are fully understood Luci never thought of it that way, lets hope you don't have a long wait :fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
          Ratings:
          +6,899
          I hope so too. I saw the baby Frogs around 4-5 years ago and have not seen any since, adult or babies. Someone who lives over on another lane has them in her pond. I don't know if anyone else around here has a pond. I wonder where those baby frogs came from. They would have had to cross a large field with steep ditches and a lane to get to my back door, travelling around 1/4 mile or so.

I recall you mentioning green water and blanket weed last year ???. How did you resolve this?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • martin-f

Ratings:
            +10,302
            :fingers crossed: they will come, it was a green slime type of algae Luci i haven't really done anything with it i still have some in the pond but the levels of it has reduced, ive put barley straw and lots of stones and plants in to get the nutrients levels down, when the plants start growing again hopefully it will reduce it more but its not too bad as it is.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
              Ratings:
              +6,899
              That's what I was thinking of doing too. I have more plants on order and I can make a net of straw up.

I have a small quantity of slate now, courtesy of Freecycle :snorky:. Hoping to get more.

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                I think you will be surprised at how quickly they will take off once the weather warms up. Unfortunately, at this stage, it is very much a waiting game. Having said that, a daily glance/stare is very much par for the course :heehee: Some may call it "impatience"; another term might be "optimism". Either way, there is NO doubt life will come and make that blob of water into a wildlife haven before you fully realise how little time it really takes. Keep faith!

That's a good sign! It means that things are trying to work out their own balance :thumbsup: Once the marginal take off properly, it'll go from brownish green to green and when all the wildlife arrives and the marginals multiply it will go from green to clear. All this is a *good* thing!

I know God took 7 days; but we're not God (no matter how much we try to be, at times :heehee: ). Personally? I wouldn't be writing enthusiastically in my garden notebook after a few days time; rather, I would be reflecting on the past year with a pond. Even then, a one year slot in the terms of a pond is a very short time span. Keep faith!! Ecologically, (nor literally!) "Rome wasn't built in a day!" ;)

Do keep peering on a daily basis and do keep noting down what you do not see, what you do see and what you are hoping to see. I reckon, come May, you will be seeing pond skaters, damselflies and other wrigglies in your pond. By August, you may even see dragonflies searching for a place to lay their eggs! If not over the pond, then most certainly over your garden ;) :thumbsup:

Take heart: I am still amazed how you have gone from an enamel bath, to a dug out in prep of a pond liner to a pre-formed pond in just a short amount of time! If *you* have had to recalibrate your thoughts over the past few months, please, at least allow nature a similar time-frame :heehee: You'll have pond skaters by May: I promise ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                  Ratings:
                  +6,899
                  I will hold you to that promise M :snorky:.

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • martin-f

Ratings:
                    +10,302
                    Still on the look out for a pond, made progress today clearing the area and decided to dig the tree out, i have a skip coming tomorrow morning i am really looking forward to loading it up :wallbanging:.
                    DSC_0140.JPG 20180406_183819.jpg 20180406_183756.jpg

• Like Like x 2
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
                    • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                      Ratings:
                      +6,899
                      Are you keeping the stump Martin?

• Like Like x 1
                      • martin-f

Ratings:
                        +10,302
                        I don't think so Luci it really depends how it looks when i get it out, i might consider planting it upside down with the roots sticking up i might be able to make a seat/birdbath until its out and see its shape i cant make a decision, if i do make a feature of it i will post it up.

• Like Like x 2
                        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +4,184
                          Hi,

Just a follow up on the frog comments, I try and provide plenty of shelter for the young froglets and often see many of them around old pots and crevices etc.

Being so many, wondered if they needed any additional help with food and is there anything we can provide for them ?

• Like Like x 2
                          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                            +100,834
                            The problem is, ricky, that the young frogs are programmed to leave the pond and make for new areas as their original pond will not be able to support them. So they will hide in what ever cover they can find as they travel and eat whatever they can on the way. It's best to let them and Nature take their course.:dunno::snorky:

• Like Like x 1