1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden refuse Bins

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by rosietutu, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Autumn bliss

Autumn bliss Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,534
    Our garden bin gets collected from March to November every 2 weeks..Pete with regards to the dustman not collecting the dustbin from down the path i think its all to do with Health and Safety nowadays my friend...:)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
      Ratings:
      +2,908
      Every two weeks down here, for both Hull Council and East Riding Council.

True story: Our neighbour has an arrangement that the binman is instructed to walk down the path to get the bin as neighbour is elderly. I accidently left my bin near hers on the shared path so he refused to take both. She had to ring the council to have the bin especially collected. Bonkers!

• Informative Informative x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,494
        At one time our bin men refused to take our green bin and put a sticker on it saying it was too heavy. I phoned their manager saying that the media would have a field day with the story as my pensioner wife had taken it 100ft to the footpath whereas their fit and healthy men couldn't manage to roll it 3ft onto the lifting mechanism of their lorry. :doh:

The manager made them come back at the end of their round before the newspaper reporter was able to come out to see how heavy it was. :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,073
          We have a 'green waste' collection fortnightly from March to end October. The alternate fortnight is the recycle material (plastic, glass, tins, paper and cardboard) and the general household waste weekly. Nominally free, but of course it's all included in the Council Tax.

As an aside - where was your bin manufactured? - all three of ours were "Made in Germany" - surely there must be a UK manufacturer capable of producing these bins! - good old British industry seems to have missed a trick again !!

a-a

• Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,435
          We have a three bin system! Blue for recycling, black for general rubbish & brown for garden waste. Our bins are emptied fortnightly (black one week then blue & brown the following) it works really well for us because I clean out the two hen coops every week so there's never a week ours don't get emptied , I also have three compost bins for grass cuttings & any hen straw/poop I can fit in!
          We pay for this service through our council tax.

• fileyboy

fileyboy Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +421
          We have 3 bins ,1Green for general waste, Blue for recycling ,Brown for garden waste.we had to pay £15 for brown bin but no charge to tip it,if you get too much garden waste you can buy extra plastic decompostable bags at 10 for £12,all my garden waste goes down to the allotment for compost.If you have any large items of furniture or such like they will take it away for you at a charge of £15 pounds.We have just had problems with school children knocking bins over so we ask what if we could leave it just inside our gate,"NO"but if you leave the bin handle just outside the gate then yes they can take it,they are not allowed to step on to your property .But if you are over 80 they will come down your drive and take it away.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +8,435
            Golly Fileyboy you have bin police like we do! :rolleyespink:
            I'm always shocked by the differences between each council! If we have a large item we have to pay £30 ( I believe, I've never used the facility). I'd love to be able to buy extra compostable rubbish bags! If we leave anything beside our bin even a cardboard box it gets left!
            I'd have thought the council would have been a bit more accomadating whilst you were having trouble with the school kids knocking over your bins, bearing in mind the council (or at least around here ) have to do litter picks!

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            I have a blue lidded bin (recycling); I have a grey lidded bin (landfill); I have a green "food waste" bin and a big black box (paper/card/newspaper). No green bin, but I could have one at an extra charge.

Food waste is collected every week (but it barely has anything in it); the grey bin fortnightly; the big black box and the blue recycling is the alternate fortnight, but we probably only put them out once every 6-8 weeks.

When we moved here, we had used up old rolls of paper as packing material and, because this was the way with our previous council, we popped it all in the recycle bin (we only had the blue and grey bins - no big black box or food bin). They refused to take it and left a big sticker on it with the reason stated: Contains paper! :nonofinger: (I live dangerously :heehee: ). So, phone call to the council, who then said I needed a big black box for paper + a food bin + a kitchen caddy and they would be delivered in the next few ... weeks :doh: :roflol: Yes, my council takes it's recycling priorities very seriously :whistle:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,494
            We don't pay for any bins or waste removal.

They provided us with a kitchen caddy which is used as our milk bucket at the top of the driveway. :heehee:

They also, some years ago, provided us with a small brown bin (with the matching caddy) to use for emptying the kitchen waste into. As we have a driveway with an 'in' and an 'out' (as we're on a dangerous bend) they left one set of each at both ends :doh: :snork:

So the two bins and one caddy are used to hold our bird food. :blue thumb:

We don't have any kitchen waste. All veggie/fruit stuff goes on the compost and the tiny amount of meat waste is put out for the cats and birds. The magpies always take the bones away. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
            • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +8,435
              :thud: Oh my goodness 'M' I can't believe they put a sticker on your bin! :gaah: At least we don't get that here.
              I did have an incident a couple of summers ago, my bin was out & had been missed by the bin men! it was a hot summer but there wasn't much in the bin so I thought I'd save myself the bother of ringing, omg the maggots the following week! :yikes: It was disgusting, I rang the council but of course I hadn't rung quickly enough & was accused of lying! I tore a strip off the woman & eventually she agreed to send the bin men to empty it! :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
              • fileyboy

fileyboy Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +421
                We also have a chap who comes round picking up litter,as we have a school at the top of our road we get a lot of sweet bags , drink cans plus other items,there are plenty of bins up the road but I think some of them don't know what there for.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +8,435
                  We have an elderly gentleman in the village who litter picks whilst he walks his dog, I don't know what we would do without him! I also pick up litter if I see any, I cannot stand litter it drives me crackers! My car often looks like a skip! (My husbands words!!!) I always bring all my litter home & put it in the wheelie bin, I can't understand why everyone else can't do the same!

• fileyboy

fileyboy Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +421
                  There was a chap here in Filey who went round every day picking up litter,he had a handy cap but was devoted to looking after his elderly mum and he did this in his own time,our local town council gave him 2 scrolls for his devotion to this act of goodness,sadly he lost his mum and went a bit of the rails,started dressing in women's clothing but still picked up the litter.
                  He died 2 years ago and the streets have never been the same.

• Friendly Friendly x 2