1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden stream design

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Pashmeister, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Pashmeister

Pashmeister Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. I'm a novice in regards to gardening, but I have a very plain back garden that I want to improve by adding a stream to it. The length of the stream would be approx 28 feet, 1.5 feet wide and very shallow - child friendly. The garden has a natural slope of about 1.5 feet from the highest point of the intended stream to the lowest point. I'd like to have a small, natural looking waterfall at the highest point and maybe a bubbling stone at the bottom.
    I've looked online for information regarding the size of pump and reservoir that I would need, but the information is too much to take in and very complicated.
    Please can somebody advise me what size of pump and reservoir(s) I would need, and also what other materials you would recommend?
    Photos/ideas of other installations would be great too if possible.
    Thank you in advance.

Paul (Lancashire, England)

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,198
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

What seems a simple diy project is quiet possible but think you under estimate the volume of water needed, which in turn determines the revervoir size, the pump size (big) and the return feed pipe.

What catches my eye is the width of the stream and the fall, and that it will need a massive flow of water to fill that width, even if its only an inch or two deep.

Would suggest you make a short length of stream , the width you want and just use some plastic sheet for it to flow down, then using hose pipes or large buckets or water buts, release water down it and gain some idea of what volume if needed to fill that width and depth, think you will be surprised.

You might find that making some mini dams across the stream to hold back some water will create a more natural look and need less flow than a continuous fall.

Have you considered the cost of having an electrical supply down to where the pump is, must be done properly !