1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden with established orchard but neglected for years Q1

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Tinkerbelle61, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Tinkerbelle61

Tinkerbelle61 Happiest Outdoors!

Ratings:
    +697
    Thank you for the advice @NigelJ
    Tink

2. Tinkerbelle61

Ratings:
    +697
    @NigelJ I raked up the leaves and fallen fruits from the crab apple tree and Cleared a 2 foot area around the trunk, but this seems to be growing out from the base of the tree.

2849EF9D-3A35-448A-BB45-6FAECEAA3521.jpeg
    018678FB-6C62-4BB9-A245-F9D5E845F430.jpeg
    CD8DC9F8-367A-45C0-8D0B-99099957D9BD.jpeg
    6337515D-F863-4D3A-B46A-FCDA24293C5A.jpeg

Unfortunately we cut off the growth a couple of weeks ago so don’t know what the stems look like. Would this be part of the crab apple tree? They are solid and not budging. There are a few other shoots like that coming out further around the trunk, but these are much smaller.

9BF893C2-02D4-4CD5-8848-9C6F4C400722.jpeg
    D50F70D6-CDF4-40BE-B0EA-0CBEE35F2BAE.jpeg

I’ve put the earth back around the base for now but would appreciate knowing if I should try and did this up and if so would it damage the tree?

Thanks
    Tink

3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,270
    @Tinkerbelle61 By the look of it they are suckers coming from the roots of the crab apple tree.
    Usually you would pull these off, to reduce the chance of regrowth. In this case some are of them are quite stout.
    So I would try and pull off what you can, the ones that don't pull off move the soil away to expose the base of the sucker where it joins the root of the crab apple and cut off as close to the root as possible.
    You will see some reqrowth remove this in the same way; pull off where possible or cut as close to the root as you can get.
    Unfortunately this could become a regular chore.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Tinkerbelle61

Ratings:
      +697
      Ahh, okay thank you @NigelJ That’s my first job of the day sorted :) I best start before it gets too warm. Happy Gardening everyone.

• Like Like x 1
      • janamacon

janamacon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Yeah, that is an apple tree. We also had such a tree in the backyard when I was a kid. The apples from that tree were terrific! I can still feel their taste!

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,361
        @Tinkerbelle61 I agree with Nigel. It's always better to pull off suckers than to cut them - if you can. either way, it's going to be a regular job and you will find that the suckers grow faster than any other part of the tree. :noidea:

• Like Like x 2
        • Tinkerbelle61

Ratings:
          +697
          @shiney thanks for the advice, I tried pulling but they were solid, so cleared as much earth that would come away, got the loppers and cut through about three quarters of it, then the rest pulled up (with effort)! Yes a regular job I agree, as I cleared two foot diameter around the trunk am hoping it will be easier to see any new growth and get it sorted before it gets too thick again.

Tink

• Like Like x 2
          • janamacon

janamacon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +0