1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardener has damaged trees with a strimmer

Discussion in 'Trees' started by BobbysMum, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Harmony our local council have been applying roundup round everything that stands in a grass verge be it trees, signs, and lamp posts. You've never seen such awful spraying as the drift has killed huge areas of turf.
    It's all time saving now regardless of quality of work.

2. Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,686
    Yep, same here. What a mess. :doh:

3. Liz the pot

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Can't remember the last time I saw a gardener or company use a weed wipe so that there is very little contamination from a herbicide.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • BobbysMum

BobbysMum Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Hi there, It has been a few months and I thought I'd give everyone an update on these trees and thank you all again for your comments. A couple of the trees are now clearly dead, I will post a couple of images of the ones hanging on in there - I am not sure whether to just remove them all now (about 8 in total) as they appear in a poor state.....I don't think the likely hood of them recovering is good? Not sure what you guys think?

Attached Files:

• Creative Creative x 1
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        Hi @BobbysMum i don’t want to be the bearer of doom and gloom but looking at your pics I think the damage has gone to far for them to recover.. You may get some growth this year but would think it would be short lived because if the Cambium layer has been damaged the goodness/sap cannot get past the wound.. This will explain it better, sadly a lot of people do not realise how detrimental strummers can be to trees.. They would “ring” trees to kill them off...This might explain it better ;) https://www.trees.org.uk/kenticotrees/Trees.org.uk/files/be/be635d9d-5a6e-464a-a6b7-0ca1e85f1dba.pdf

• Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411
        Ah! The tale of the "garden blaggers."
        Far too many firms employ people who haven't a clue. You can kill a tree by "ring barking " it with a strimmer.
        A neighbour fired hers after a similar incidence and the fact they'd dug up some of her new plants and carefully left a patch of ground elder.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Hiya Bobbysmum,
        Sorry but I agree with Marley. Those trees have had it. Rip them out and maybe plant something else.:)

• Like Like x 2
        • BobbysMum

BobbysMum Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +3
          Thank you for your responses it is very much appreciated - I am in agreement with you - and these were the trees that may have had some hope - it is now 8 trees this guy has destroyed and he states he has never heard of what I am talking about - sadly he is probably also destroying other peoples trees as well.....:(

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Marley Farley

Ratings:
            +14,125
            Oh dear so sad @BobbysMum sounds to me like he is choosing to plead ignorance to shrug off the blame... :sad:
            So sorry if I am wrong of course.
            I think that if you do decide to plant new trees make sure you put tree guards around the base of the trees.. There are quite a few to choose from..This kind are the best, but don’t spend out on this, you can do what I have done..
            Welded Mesh Tree Guards | Tree Guards | Pitchcare Shop
            I bought a roll of wire mesh from Wilkos and made several out of one roll.. It is fidley, but a good pair of gloves and tin snips and you are away.. join into tubes..
            Wilko Cage Mesh 1.5m
            Then when you plant your tree sink this tree guard into the soil.. Just make sure your wire tube will either go over the root ball or slide down. I suppose mine about 10” across.. I have them on mine to keep the rabbits off but they keep the strummers away.. I will post a pic tomorrow of mine as too dark now..

• Like Like x 1
            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,616
              We call that girdling a tree. I'd print off an article and show it to him. Then pay him and ask him if he's going to change how he does things now he knows. If he stays stubborn, I'd find somebody else.

Better to pull and replace as soon as you get this fellow sorted out. I surely wouldn't let him near a new bunch without setting him straight.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
              +1,259
              How often is your lawn cut?

• Marley Farley

Ratings:
              +14,125
              @BobbysMum this is one of the tree guards I made from the wilkos mesh around my shrub to keep rabbits and strimmer cord away..

[​IMG] [
              [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Good idea :dbgrtmb:....as they put these around the new tree's when planted by us :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1