1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

garlic and shallots

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by chan, Sep 22, 2008.

1. chan

chan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

well i finally got my dream job at a garden and have been put in at the deep end - having sole responsibility for the potager kitchen garden..... i don't really know much about growing veg so i reckon i might be calling on all your expertise quite a bit this year :)

so for starters - can any gardeners around cheshire and lancashire tell me what types of garlic and shallots grow well around here? and any other hints on preparing our sandy soil for the crop?

thanks very much,

Em.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Em, you would probably be better off going around the local garden centres and see what they are stocking.:thumb:

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,192
    And visit some local allotments and look to see what they are growing and if anyones about then pick their brains.

4. chan

chan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  5. riverside

riverside Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I found a few articles online (google) that mention just splitting a normal garlic bulb into it's respective cloves and then planting those, is that right? as it sounds a bit weird to be honest with you

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,192
    Yes riverside, thats what you are supposed to do. Pull the big bulb apart (thye seperate real easy) and plant each individual clove, each of them grows into a big bulb next year.