1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gas or Electric fire

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Lyn, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    My friend as just had her Gas fire condemed and is now having to get a new one.
    The problem is it's so old with the new regulations the hole at the back of the fire as got to be made bigger.
    The cost will be about £250
    Plus the cost of the new gas fire and the fitting etc.
    Would it be so much more to run an electric fire as a back up to gas central heating and cutting out the building and fitting costs?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Depends if there is a socket nearby for an electric fire, if not it will cost to get one fitted.

If there is a socket then an electric fire might be more effecient than a gas one - with gas a lot of the heat goes straight up the flue, unless its one of those modern enclosed ones, which aren't very nice to sit around. My elderly Dad has an electric fire as well as gas CH, and the electric fire is very useful as its so easy to control, heat is instant (not quite the case with gas).

Sorry not sure about running costs though.

3. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +77
    Thank you.
    I didn't realise you had to have a special electric socket.
    I thought you just plugged them in a normal one.
    :o
    I suppose it's like an electric cooker.

Thanks again .
    I'll have a word with her.
    But I'm almost sure she hasn't got a special fire plug socket, why would she?

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,193
    No sorry Lyn, I didn't mean it needs a special socket, just a normal 13 amp will do as far as I know.

What I meant was is there one close enough?

5. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +77
    My mistake sorry :dh:

6. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have no idea but those electric fan heaters use loads of electricity but don't know how similar they are :cnfs:

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    There are gas fires out there were 70% + of the heat goes into the room in fact there is one on this site which doesn't need a flue and 100% of the heat goes in the room.http://www.gasfires.net/
    Iwould go for the gas fire optin with the threatened power cuts at least you would have one source of heat.

8. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thats a good idea Walnut. One I didn't think of. Imagine if the power were out for days u could freeze

9. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,193
    We have one of those effecient gas fires, but it needs an electric supply to keep the it going, so if electric went it would be useless!

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Lyn - you can calculate the costs. Look at your bills and subtract the cost per Kwh of gas from the cost per kwh of electricity. That will be the extra cost per hour of a single bar electric fire over gas (assuming you get all the heat from the gas). You must look at the main tariff not the tariff for the first few units.

In my case, Electricity costs 11.48 and gas 2.89. So the extra is 8.59 pence per hour. I pay the same rate for all my units, so my figures may be a bit different from yours. If you run a single bar (1 Kwh) for 1 hour a day, 1 day in the month, and 1 month a year, the extra cost will be 8.59 pence.

Now multiply this figure up by your actual usage. This could be a two bar fire (ie 2 Kwh) run it for 4 hours a day, 30 days in a month, 4 months of the year, the extra cost will be £82.46 per year.

11. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks everyone, I'll pass it on to her.
    She hasn't got a fire at all at the moment , just a hole in the wall.

About the power cuts.
    We would also have no heat .
    I'm sure our gas is worked by the electric.
    I'm not sure if it can be lit by hand never tried.
    I no the gas central heating is out because of the pump.

I didn't even no about any cuts.

What are they going to throw at us next.:(

12. UJH

UJH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have a woodburner as backup to the oil central heating in the event of a power cut. It is a nice form of heat and wood can be free. We use the little electric halogen heaters for a bit of instant heat but I don't know how economical they are.

13. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Movable Oil filled electric radiators are the business as a top up in a cold room. They are thermostatically operated and work well if combined with a plug in timer switch.:)

14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Regards flueless gas fires.... Basicly dont touch them..... If the combustion mecanism breaks you risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Have a search on the plumbers forum on the screwfix site. There have been deaths caused by them, If you already have one fit a carbon monoxide detector.

Personally id go electric, there is a gas fire in my house but I never use it as it makes a horrible smell being used iregularly due to it burning off the dust etc.

15. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    ^^^ +1

Not worth the risk. We had one in our student house. Even if we could have afforded to use it, we wouldn't have.