1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

GC forum activity

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, May 4, 2012.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Is it just me, or is the forum less active since the software switchover?

It used to be a full time job to keep up with everything that's going on. Nowadays it seems you can easily keep up with what's new.

2. chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,616
    i was thinking the same thing, but then it could be that the weather has started to improve and we are spending more time in the garden up the lottie and in the greenhouse/ potting shed ? i know i am :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

3. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,297
    I am getting fed up of reloading every second post, as if more than ten people on the site,you can not access the server
    I stick in as I like the site and the people on it, but it is too frustrating having to re load every thread, three or four times
    I expect others have just given up

Jack McH

4. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    it can run slower for me sometimes but to fair we are in the garden more at mo but weathers not been great so plants are behind and thats more frustrating :cry3:so less to report,im finding it hard to find old threads which winds me up for sure x

5. chitting kaz

Ratings:
    +2,616
    i second that :cool:

6. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    I put it down to the longer days / time of year, seriously.
    I am also on other forums, its the same every year, summer months folks are outside, be that visiting places or sitting in their gardens or visiting relatives I know not, so as they are "out" they are not "in" on a forum.

7. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    It is a lot quieter , seems to have lost a little of its buzz as well . This will probablly return as people get used to the new format . Jack have you reported this reloading problem ? It sounds like a right pain.
    I do miss the like and thanks buttons , we only have the like button now - its not the same.
    I remember the days :old:when all you had to do was mention multi purpose compost and you would have 100 replies , photos , lab analysis , national costings in 24 hours :snork:

• Like Like x 4
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,956
      May be it's because i joined :oopss:

• lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
      Ratings:
      +641
      The site is taking longer to load than other sites,and if the reason there is less activity is due to folks working in their gardens that is good,but because of the weather I am not sure this is 100% the reason.
      If that is the case though god help us in the winter when the forum becomes busy it will be as if we are back on dial up, click a link and go and make a coffee then come back and read it!
      The lay out change is ok for us who have taken the time to learn it but the "normal" poster who would nip in and out will struggle to refind their post to see if it has been replied to.

• Like Like x 1
      • chitting kaz

Ratings:
        +2,616
        nah Jiffy if i joining didnt make them :runforhills: you joining certainly wont :biggrin:

thing is even Mandii, Ziggy and dare i say it Dim are being more quiet them usual ( i know i am going to regret say that )

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
        Ratings:
        +31,192
        I'm just the new kid on the block here so I have only a farthing's worth right to chip in. I reckon all this rain and lack of sunlight has a lot to do with it. I don't give a stuff who got the most seats in the by elections yesterday but I do care about the big outdoors and sharing it with GC. My daughter, who is struggling in Southern Ireland to run an Equestrian Stables tells me that a dry sunny day is the only free fix that they can afford and it DOES make all the difference. To me too,:grphg:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Armandii is off on a secret mission & i've been busy with family matters i'm afraid.

I'm posting this from a secret location in North Devon:doh:

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        Well we have looked into the slow running & page loading issues etc & can find no reason at this end at all, Rich has been back & looked into it.. :scratch: It seems that it is just a few of you experiencing it which is odd..
        Maybe you all need to do a de-frag, scan & cookie cleaning session.. :scratch:

Do you all log out each time you leave GC for instance as that will clear some cookies, but some of them can really slow things down.. It is a good idea to log in & out each time as staying logged in can leave you open to attack.. Also if do not run your security regularly & scan & clean it, it will slow your computer..

I run a deep scan 3 evenings a week after I have logged off for the night & spy-bot most evenings & always de-frag once a week & that seems to keep things humming along for me..

:WINK1: Also the forum always starts to quieten down a bit at this time of year as we are busy getting other things in the garden & life..
        Spring for me is not just new life, but a time to get busy..!!! :yahoo: So not at the PC so much.. Zigs & Mandii are both a little bit occupied at present too, but we are all here, just not so much time to sit & talk... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
        • chitting kaz

Ratings:
          +2,616

family is more important Zigmister :grphg::wub2:

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          Its slow for me too, and I know my machine is healthy.

Forgive me for getting all techy, but it might help diagnose the problem:)

I've just had a look at the network activity tab in Chrome. It seems the forum is downloading the file many times on every page load. Browsers try to download files in batches, and can download multiple files at the same time (multiple tcp ports per browser session - usually 8 these days). Once the 'request queue' hits a limit (usually about 8) further requests are stuck on the end of the queue and wait. Basically that means that the browser has to set up lots of new requests, and sometimes they hang briefly when the request is 'pending'.

This issue is usually nothing to do with the total size of the download in bytes, which is why it is so often difficult to diagnose. Someone reports a go-slow, you look at the size of the download, its quite small. You look at the server load, it is low or well within normal limits, and you look at the database server, and find it healthy. Yet the problem is still present. When that happens it is often the scenario I've just described.