GC - you are being watched!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jjordie, May 21, 2008.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,283
    I've been arrested in the past but "It wasn't me, guv, honest!"

2. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    my neighbour has put up two cctv cameras ,are you allowed to do this without a warning sign,one is facing the car park,the other a kiddies play park,myself I think its a bit iffy

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    :eek: Well Kathy I would be a bit concerned about the one in the Kiddies play area....:eek: Neighbour or not you don't know what they may really be looking at.... There was a case locally a few years ago now, where someone in Bristol did that..... A year later they were charged & sentenced in a huge Pedophile swoop.....!!!:eek: Nobody thought the person was capable of such a thing......... Looking at little girls..!!! :mad: But guess what.... They were guilty....!!!! :mad: So personally I would be very wary of anyone doing such a thing if they were not an official body....!!!!!!! :mad:

:rolleyes: Sorry Kathy, but I go to the park ( not that one) with my grandchildren allot & it is still talked about now.... Even here..:mad:

;):D:D Yes Pete, I would go with you on the subject of never doing anything wrong...!!! Think we all have some guilty secret..!!!!;):D

:( But "Big Brother has been watching us all for so long....... Just don't think we realise most of the time, that's all......

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Although I'm a very open person not all are comfortable with being so it would be nice to be given the choice but then again the first ones to complain might be the same criminals that 'Big Brother' is looking for to catch.

Can't win either way if you complain people will think you have something to hide and if you stay silent that just makes matters worse! :( Hel.xxx.

5. Dover Dave

Dover Dave Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pete
    sure ive done lots illegal, every day i may speed a little, double park now and then or fib about my tax returns.... who dont but i guess the mobile or internet things may not be a bad thing as they arnt looking for us normal people its the terrorists etc. isnt that a good thing?;)

6. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    At what point do we start to fight back against the intrusion into our everyday mundane lives? When they start injecting ID capsules into our children and grandchildren at birth. Hmm. Unlikely, I don't think so, and will we be asked if we agree to it, I don't think so again.

7. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Wish I had one in me Moyra:D...I'm trying to get photo ID for a very important ceremony and time is not on my side!:(
    My belief is that ID is very important in this day and age. Nothing to hide..nothing to fear.

8. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    No, it sounds like something Hitler would have dreamed up if technology had been that far advanced in 1939. But we are getting there on the anti terroism ticket. Never have I seen such erosion of civil liberties than I have over the last 10 years or so.

9. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well said Paladin .
    I see it like this people - if you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about. In Northern Ireland our photo has been on our driving license for as long as I can remember. Nobody worries about it and I can see the I.D. cards being brought out here first to test the water before they appear in the mainland. It does not bother me in the least until one government department decides to send the data to another government department on a great big disc.Thats when the trouble will begin.

10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Beefy said
    thats already happened the vehicle licensing authority in swansea sells you details to wheel clamping companies so they can harass you for money.

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,123
    ;) Well I too see things the same as Pal & Beefy.... I have nothing to hide & in this day & age of identity theft & so many foreigners in our country I have no problem with cards.. I have a photo license & I find it extremely useful...! ;) One might actually feel a little more secure in the long run as to who a person is...!!!!!!:eek: I am sorry, but I think things are far too free & easy in this country & too many people walk into jobs that they are seriously not fit for & many other places, where, if their details were on a central data bank for crimes committed etc we may actually not have peadophiles being given jobs...!!!! For example anyone working with children.... After all children are our future..!!! Maybe terroists would not be able to move around so freely either.. I think there are now allot of reasons for have ID cards...!!! Well that is my thoughts anyway....:rolleyes::)

12. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    How sure could we be that the 'real id cards' are genuine? It will cause inconvenience to some of us, but unless they had an 'eye' & fingerprints on and were isseud in such a way to be impossible to copy then I don't know if they're worth the time & money.

cheers

13. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,123
    :thumb: Borrowers I think if they were to have your finger prints encrypeted & also the Iris of your eye information, it would be as fool proof as can be at present levels of technology... DNA would be the next thing to add....;):thumb:

14. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,318

I hope your right Dave, how does the saying go, " anything you say may be taken down and used in evidence against you"
    Whatever it is you have done.

As for ID cards, I dont see them as a problem as such, but I def. dont want to pay for one, why should I, I have a birth certificate that says who I am and where I was born, so I know my identity.

Now if we are talking about a complete record of what I have done all my life, thats a different matter.

Also will we be required to carry these cards at ALL times, and be stopped in the street and asked (no, told) to show them on demand, or an offence will have been committed.

I dont think I have anything to hide, but it all seems to be one of those govn. schemes that will cost US a lot of money, and actually achieve very little.

How many of the new kind passports was it that they said they had issued to dodgy people.:rolleyes: By their own admission.

15. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    As pete says, we will be required to produce these on demand as in Nazi germany and Communist Russia. I once spoke to a WW2 veteran who said he fought a war to prevent that sort of official action.
    One thing I can promise you is that if you give officialdom power, they'll abuse it.
    I can't see,:confused: that as a law-abiding citizen, I should have to produce anything on demand, I haven't done anything wrong