1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Geranium Rozante dividing

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by ThePlantAssassin, Jul 11, 2020.

1. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Hi All.
    I have a geranium Rozanne in a pot and it has done really well however.....I'm going to transfer it into the border now. Can I divide it as I do this? I realise it's late in the year bit it's not flowering as much as usual and is getting straggly.
    Thank you.

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

Usually , this time of year once they have finished flowering you need to cut it back hard.

By that I mean to about 50mm above the soil, which should then reveal signs of new shoots/leaves just starting to emerge.

You should also see there may be several 'crowns' to the plant and they are what you can divide up to create new plants and they should still give flower again this summer. You can take small pieces and they will probably root ok, but will take a season or two to make a decent sized plant.

You have not mentioned the size of your pot, but would suggest 150mm clumps are the smallest we would divide it into, to ensure it soon reaches a decent size in the border this year.
    Any little peices that fall off, then pot those up and give them a bit a care so they will grow faster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
      Ratings:
      +1,016
      Thank you @ricky101 for the very helpful advice. They were in a shallow bulb pot approx 1ft wide. After taking them out the root ball bit was not massive so I've given them a good hair cut, put them in the ground and fed them with tomato food.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      @ricky101 when do Rozanne stop flowering approx? mine seem to be 100% at the moment.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Would just feed with a general balanced fertilzer to encourage growth once replanted, Tom feed more when in bud /flowering.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,203
        Not sure of the name of our blue and pink ones but have only just cut ours back this last week, still had a good few flowers on them, but getting too overgrown and smothering other plants out.

• Like Like x 1