1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Germinating seeds: a few beginner questions (jars over soil and Jiffy pellets)

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Aldo, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,944
    Just thought I'd add in that I've had a fantastic experience of using Jiffy cells. I used them in trays and just water the bottom of the tray as an when needed. Personally I've found them much easier to use and not had any problems with root damage. I started using them after getting the Sarah Raven cut flower seeds and that is what she recommends and uses, particularly for plants that dont like root disturbance. Although I can see what other people have said that the roots grow through the material....I guess give them a try and see what you think :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,318
      Hi Mike,

Thanks for your kind words and advice.
      Using a cell tray and a single sheet of glass sounds like a good idea, it takes less space than single pots and it is more practical than having to lift every single jar to check development and add water.

The reason why I did not get myself an electric propagator is, to be honest, that I tend and buy lots of things which gets used only very occasionally.
      For a dedicated gardener with lots of planting space, I think using a propagator is a no brainer, I guess. But for me it would be yet another electric appliance to fit somewhat in a very small house cramped with all kind of things.

I can happily announce that, out of 16 seedling, 14 have already appeared!
      I am very glad and hold hope for the last two (and for 6 tomatoes in jiffy which I only seeded a few days ago).

If I may ask, for corn and squash seedlings, how long could one safely wait before repotting them to larger pots?
      The reason for asking is that I will be away between the 7th and the 16th. My wife will take care of the plants while I am away, but I would rather not to burden her with too many things to do beyond watering.

• Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,318
      Thanks for the advice, I am glad you had a good experience with Jiffy!
      I have seeded 8 tomatoes in Jiffy bags just a few days ago, and I am waiting to see how that works out.

• Like Like x 1
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,870
        Glad to be of service !!:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          I must admit. I have never grown squashes or sweetcorn. Neither have I used 'Jiffy's foe growing. However I hope my comment will be of some use. From adverts etc, it does appear that a plant, seed or cutting can remain insitu in a Jiffy for practically any amount of time. Unlike growing in cells, where the practice is to be able to transplant, prick-out, pot up can be carried out with minimal root disturbance.The cell providing a small but restricted growing area.
          In the case of the 'Jiffy' or similar growing, germinating type of cantainer. These are claimed to be biodegradable.
          Practicable experience. The biodegradability factor, as I see it depends very much upon the use of watering. viz: A plant requiring a dry or semi dry growing condition ceratainly will not benefit from eventually being planted up or on whilst the roots remain within the Jiffy etc. Scientifically the amount of water applied to sustain the plant, may in some cases be insufficient to cause the the Jiffy etc to break down.
          Example. I have used seed sowing into the open ground, especially with veg crops, and then thinning out. In the greenhouse I've used most types of methods. At one time, specializing in Fuchsias, I purchased a lot of new varieties that had already been potted up. In time i potted-on and not long after lost the lot. NO! not vine weevil but Jiffy. The Jiffy's had not rotted away and the plants roots had been strangled.
          My advice is. If you pot-up a plant. Check the original rooting system. Biodegradable or not. Cut it away.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,318
            Thanks Mike, I will make sure to remove the envelope at the time of planting then.
            At the moment, I have only 8 seeds in Jiffy (bush tomatoes), it has been a week and they have not developed yet.

But I have 15 or so corn and squash plants germinating in small 6cm pots (in potting soil).
            I will be gone for 10 days starting Sunday, so probably I should pot them all in larger pots and remove them from the windowsill, as direct light might be a bit too strong for them now.

My main problem is lack of space in our tiny house, particularly when moving plants to larger pots. Counting 15 plugs coming next week, which my wife will take care of, we will end up with nearly 70 potted guests to keep somehow happy until they can be safely moved to the garden.
            I do have a shelter in the garden (a gazebo with 4 canvas walls and side windows, basically) which I might leave the plants in, but nights can still get quite cold, so perhaps it is a bit of a risk with very young plants.

In the end, if I could go back I would probably move my trip to May and spend the next two weeks making more planters, fixing the raised beds and taking care of other urgent things. When I booked my tickets I did not quite consider that it would all pile up.
            Well, we live to learn I guess, something to keep in mind next year :)

Thanks again!