1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ginger root

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by PeterS, May 2, 2007.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have just been given a bit of (culinary) ginger root that appears to be starting to sprout. It appears that you can make it grow, as once I got past the medical references on Google, I managed to find this. http://www.plantcultures.org/plants/ginger_grow_it.html

Has anyone done this? And what does it do - does it flower?

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I keep trying this and get plants 1-2' tall which haven't yet survived the winter- they are supposed to die back but mine don't come up again :(
    What they do is produce more ginger roots!
    They don't often flower in uk but can produce a crop without flowering.

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,946
    Seeing this, I got three pieces rooted last year and had nice leaves but no flowers and then the leaves died off.

I'll go have a gentle "root" to see if I can find more roots!

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Many thanks Liz (very speedy!) and L of L. I will have a go. However I think the requirement of a minimum temperature of 28C is pretty daunting. Its a shame there won't be a flower - but a chalenge is good fun, and I can always eat it if I get bored with it :D

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] I too have grown some in the past, but like Liz's, only greenery & more root. They didn't come back the 2nd year either. Despite being kept warm... :rolleyes:

[​IMG] Yes do have a look LoL & see what yours are up to. Might be interesting to find they grow differently over there...... :D

6. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,946
    Marley, I went out between the showers and there is nothing in the ground! Maybe mine rotted with the winter rain.

I don't think I'll bother again as it is so cheap to buy, 20p for a good sized piece ... and my leaves were tatty looking as well!

It's the same with Lemon Grass, grows and spreads quickly but looks tatty.

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
  8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,946
    Mmmm, Marley, that's interesting ... I'll keep my peepers peeled.

I hate to say, I think I've overtaken Pal tonight in postings and am second to you ... will have to go look ... :eek:

But, we'll NEVER catch up to our rosa ... bless her [​IMG]

9. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I agree Marley - the ornamentals gingers look more fun to grow. Thats a very nice site. I see that it says they are all hardy down to 0 F, I understood they needed winter proctection. Is it a problem of wet rather than pure temperature?

And do you think Elizabeth will really grow to 9 foot tall here? I fancy that.

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,946
    I was just looking through Chiltern's catalogue and they have four varieties, so I shall have a ponder on this.

PeterS, there's one listed (H Stenopetalum, the Slenderpetal Ginger) that can grow to 12 foot or more :eek: and produces 18 inch spikes of ghost-white flowers with curled petals that are fragrant. Mmmmm!

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi Peter,
    It is an American site So I would say not hardy here. I like it as a site though. They are refering to zone 7, whose temps range from 0-10 degreesF. Here is a link to what is probably the best I have found.
    http://www.arborday.org/media/zones.cfm
    You might like to read this too...
    http://www.trebrown.com/hrdzone.html
    :rolleyes: :D

I think they will grow to those heights easily if the temps are high enough Peter. Elizabeth is a real stunner, but I also fancy Kanogi... [​IMG] Looking at the way our temps have been this last year or two, maybe they would be alright here in a year or two...!!! :eek: [​IMG]

12. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
  13. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Thanks L of L and Marley. That zonal map of Britain is the best one I have seen. But as it says British zones are differant from the notionally same American zone.

It is great to see that there is a good range of gingers here. But they are expensive when you add carriage. Perhaps the sensible way to start is with seeds from Chilterns - H Stenopetalum looks good 8 - 12 feet and nearly hardy.

One thing I love about this forum is that you can start on one subject and end up being introduced to something totally new. I owe the light chamber that I made to a post by someone. Perhaps I can use my chamber to grow a pot plant (potted ginger of course). :D

14. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] You know, you may well have the answer there Peter as regards giving them a great start with that cupboard...!! :D :D It is nice the way we all add our little bit.. So then it grows into something good..!! :D Then of course we are a gardening Forum... [​IMG] :D A place to share... :cool: Keep us posted..!

From little Acorns, doth the mighty Oak grow .... ;)

15. fletch

fletch Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Peter, there are some wonderful ornamental gingers out there and the Hedychiums are very easy for someone new to gingers.
    H. coccineum "Tara" is a lovely, lush easy one with lovely flowers too and reasonably hardy.

Good luck!

Fletch