1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Goldfish in a nature pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by KentishGardener, Jun 3, 2020.

1. KentishGardener

KentishGardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, first of all thank you for allowing me on to your forum.

My first question on here is about my nature pond.

I have two ponds in my garden, next to each other. The first one is a goldfish pond with a pump (and a few newts and frogs live there too!). The second one is a nature pond, with no pump, with weeds, newts and frogs. But somehow, goldfish have ended up in there. I have no idea how it has happened, perhaps when my goldfish pond has overflowed, maybe some eggs ended up in there. There are 4 of them in there, all of them black.

I have managed to get one of the black goldfish into my proper goldfish pond, but i'm wondering if I should continue with the others? They seem fairly happy in there and have survived a few years (first noticed them when I first moved here 3 years ago), although its fairly shallow and all the weeds might make oxygen difficult for them.
    My main concern is the newts and frogs - will the goldfish eat the eggs, tadpoles etc? If I want it to be truly natural, shall I continue to put the goldfish into the proper goldfish pond?

Many thanks in advance.

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,532
    Welcome to GC, a nature or wildlife pond should never have fish in it, they will eat spawn, tadpoles and newt eggs. You need to remove all of them if you can.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 2