1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

grass growing at different rates??

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Glynn Rigby, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Glynn Rigby

Glynn Rigby Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Since using fertiliser on my lawn using a walk/push spreader earlier this year there are patches of grass that are a lot thinner and the lawn looks bare in places.

When I cut it short then of course it all looks the same but as it grows it grows at different rates in diff areas of the lawn so after a few days I have areas growing well and other areas growing very slowly..my question is...

How do I get it all back to growing at the same rate?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Different grass types grow at different rates and the fert you applied would no doubt be short lived and gone by now.
    One reason for the patches are diseases like Red Thread which is very common at the moment. It's also not uncommon to discover another disease populating the area at the same time.
    Red Thread is everywhere round here, little red tips give it away and it sits in the soil for a few years so returns quickly once you have warm, wet weather.
    To keep the grass healthy and even growth you need to think about what type of fertiliser you wish to use, even spread so it's not patchy once applied or when it finishes.
    As you talk about bare patches and as I can't see first hand I'm guessing there is a problem with the health of the plant like Red Thread for example.
    Have a careful look at the grass to see if you can see any tips of bright red.
    It could be a case though of cutting too short but as I'm seeing so much disease at the moment it's worth a note on this.

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,612
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Glynn. :) That isn't red thread in your lawn it's uneven fertilising. I abandoned spreaders many years ago as they seem to distribute unevenly. If I'm using a granular weed and/or feed I spread it by hand and can control how much I'm using and where it is spread.

It's a little late in the season now to use lawn feed, so I would suggest waiting until next spring and start afresh then. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      That's not caused by the fert as the patches are uneven and not a strip formation which is what you get with drop spreaders where gaps are formed.
      It's also not too late to add a fertiliser be it a conditioning fert or an early Autumn feed, in fact the Autumn feed is needed to keep the grass heathy and deter diseases .
      Look for the red tips on the grass and also early morning look for a white or clear webbing formation on the turf that looks like spider webs.
      I can't see how you can conclude that it's not red thread from those pics to be honest.
      Spreaders are far more accurate that by hand, again I'm lost at why you think spreaders are a problem. Very simple to test and calibrate spreaders, either broadcast or drop and they work very well as long as it's a half decent machine.
      With a spreader and simple calculation you can adjust single apps of fert to control levels. Can I ask what the calculation method is you use to work out the percentage rate of NPK you apply by hand?
      If you need help on what type of spreader and how to set them up for any type of fert I'm willing to help you if you are not sure.
      I'll also help on how to use them be it single or double pass method.

Attached Files:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
        Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,513
        I must say that, from the first picture (not really enough detail to see properly), it looks like either uneven spreading (most of the patchy areas are in a straight line) or uneven height on the mower, that is cutting too low.

The reason for those deductions are the long, perfectly straight, lines of damaged grass. This is very indicative of a mechanical problem.

The other patches of affected lawn appear to possibly be more like red thread patches - but not necessarily so. Red thread tends to show in late summer if you've had a wet, hot, and humid summer. If you live in my part of the country we've had the heat with some humidity but almost a drought for two months. So the fungus is unlikely to be a problem here - at the moment.

So your climatic conditions are a major factor. Lack of Nitrogen is another factor (if it's red thread) but it's getting a bit late in the year to start adding Nitrogen.

Poor aeration could be another factor (particularly with red thread) so scarifying could be of assistance. Check to see whether there is any red thread and, if so, don't put the clippings on your compost heap.

Long straight patches usually indicate uneven mowing and it would help if you were able to check and correct that. If you can't correct it then set the cut a bit higher. Also, make sure the blades are sharp as blunt blades can help the spread of red thread.

If you're not sure about treating the lawn with chemicals and fungicides then, if you can afford it, get the professionals in. They're not all that expensive. If any say that they will treat the lawn, for red thread, with fungicide (they have access to chemicals that you don't) and will do a series a treatments, with the fungicide, then I would steer clear of them. Twice a year is the legal limit on domestic lawns! Other, normal, chemicals are OK.

I would suggest letting the lawn be a little higher and it may look fine in future - if you can't see obvious evidence of red thread. Then an occasional feed and some scarifying should then keep it in good condition.

My lawns aren't the best example of lawn care as I never fertilise or scarify. They have to fend for themselves. That's simply because my garden is too big for me to have time to do anything but mow and I spend my time looking after the plants and produce.

• Like Like x 2
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,612
          I disagree, how do you think lawns grew before autumn feed was invented, it hasn't been on the market that long. I've never seen the point of using it the grass is becoming dormant in autumn.

Because to me it looks like uneven fertiliser has been spread. Nothing to do with red thread that you seem so keen to tell members they've got and how can you conclude that it is anyway?

Spreaders aren't far more accurate than by hand when they don't work properly as you can see from the pictures above. I don't need to calculate how much to apply by hand, I've been working on my lawns for thirty five years and I've laid them on different soils using both turf or seed. I have the ability to judge how much fertiliser or combination of weed and feed to lay.

I've only ever used a spreader once and never again, my own judgement is enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
            Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
          • Liz the pot

Ratings:
            +1,259
            Calm down sweetie, there's no need to take it so personal.
            Let me help you.
            First I've asked the OP to check on the red thread and at no point did I confirm it is. Hope that helps.
            Secondly grass is not dormant but still has growth and this is why it's green in the winter as its still producing carbohydrates . The autumn feed helps to keep the plant growing and producing those carbohydrates and while you can't see growth trust me it's there, hope that helps.
            Secondly I would suggest you use a spreader, as you can see the pic I posted is a lawn maintained by me and and a even spread dropper is used which is just £24 to buy and is very easy to use. Not a single mistake, even, lush growth as a good quality lawn should be when the spreader is set right and used correctly. You don't need to pay for expensive spreaders.
            While I think you do a great job on the forums it seems you are not keen on any thought which varies from yours and to new members. I hope you are willing to open up and take in info when offered. It's how we learn and improve. Do you not think I had to start off and learn at some point.
            So please chill out a little as no one is stepping on your patch and lots of people are happy for your help, just allow new members to feel welcome.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,612
            I am not your sweetie! I am not taking it personally and I don't need or want your help! But I do find you patronising......I'm out of here!

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
            +1,259
            I will apologise for calling you that, it's not my intention to upset you as I've said you help people out and that you are a respected member here.
            I thought we had kind of sorted out any problems in our own way in the last 8 days since that post.
            Please accept an apology and let's start over again.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +89,886
              Good morning I don't know much about grass but my hair such as it is grows at different rates:heehee:;)

• Agree Agree x 1