1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

grass seed still not growing

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by riverside, Oct 4, 2008.

1. riverside

riverside Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ooh I wasnt aware of that but harder wearing would be good as it's a front garden, so is going to be walked on constantly in places (enough though there are paving slabs, our postie doesnt always seem to use them) and I have kids.
    As I have to resow I've been looking at chamomile, the age old lawn from before. what's attacting me apart from the history is apparently it's very well scented and tbh I do love the smell of chamomile, so does anyone know if this is a feasible option? it only seems to come in small suttons seeds packets to it'll probably be a box full lol, how does chamomile look when it's down as a lawn? the photo on the front of the packet is a close up so doesnt give very much idea? so any info would be appreciated

2. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    The only problem with camomile is that it can be choked out by couch grass and weeds and it is extremely slow growing. Smells lovely though when walked upon.

3. riverside

riverside Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ahh thank you, back to the old drawing board then lol, would it work if I mixed it in with normal grass seed or would it just end up looking like theres weeds in the lawn?

4. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  5. riverside

riverside Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    the original grass seed is showing some first signs of growth, I popped out this morning to weed the beds (it's amazing how fast they start to grow back isnt it) and there was a very very fine fuzzy green (could only see in the light) graze on the soil so on closer inspection, to ensure the seeds werent rotting I can see tiny slim fine grass leaves (or whatever you call them)
    I'm dead impressed! :D

6. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  7. riverside

riverside Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for all the stupid questions, but, can I walk on the young grass (it's now only a few centimetres) as young weeds are growing back in one of the back beds and I wanted to clear them before they take hold (you wouldn't believe I weeded that same bed last week would you lol)

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Shouldn't do any harm, but if its wet the soil, and grass seedlings, may stick to your boots ...

.. I suggest putting a board down, and working from that.