1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Grass seedlings and frost

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by TheMadHedger, May 4, 2020.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    In early April I sowed some grass seeds, these germinated around mid April and are growing okay.

The last week of April I sowed some in another area, these started germinating a few days ago and are growing well.

From looking at the weather forecast around a week from now we could be in for a colder spell with perhaps some overnight frosts for a couple of days - should the grass seedlings be fairly frost resilient by then?

I guess those sowed in early April will have roots a few inches long and should be fine, but how about the more recent ones?

The area isn't that big so would it be a good idea to cover them with a light tarpaulin late evening and remove that first thing in the morning? Would it need to be propped up and not touching the grass or is laying it directly onto the grass okay ?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    They will be fine. The main thing with newly sown grass is to avoid walking on it. Covering will do more harm than good

If you are still worried there is the old trick I use on frosted potatoes, if you water gently first thing in the morning after the frost, it stops them thawing out too quickly where exposure to early morning sun would normally blacken them.

3. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks, that's a relief. :)

4. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Another thought - I had intended to sow some more grass seeds tomorrow but the possible cold snap in a week's time has made me wonder if it's viable. Should I still go ahead and sow them tomorrow or hang fire for a week or two? I ask because if I sow them today they will probably start to germinate around the time that a night time frost may occur so they will presumably be at their most vulnerable then.