1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Grasses for semi shade?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by nikirushka, May 1, 2020.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    What grasses would be OK with being in shade for roughly half the day?

I've got a corner that I'd like to set up as a beach corner. Sand, grasses, fake beach hut fronts, the works. But, it's at the back of my south west facing house. So, full shade a good portion of the day.

I've already got stipa gigantea and pheasant tail grass, and a few bunny tails, all in pots but I've not checked their specific needs yet for this. I have to miscanthus which I've already planted elsewhere as it would likely be too shady for them there. What others could I use?

I'd like a mix of heights if possible.

2. Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Most grass will grow very well in partial shade, most of Stipa, and lagurus as you mentioned, some of my favourites, are the miscanthus, of which there are a few dwarf varieties Yakushima comes to mind, Carex which there are a vast colour range, there is a nice variety named everest with cream edges, and a couple of reddish ones, red rooster is one I like, talking of reds, you wont go wrong with either Imperata red baron or Unicina rubra, Anemanthele Sirocco is a stunner, as autumn cooler weather takes over, it turns to shades of copper and pink, Juncus is another, most have seen twister with its curls, but there is another named starhead with broader sword shape leaf that has a very attractive flower.for a damp area theres Isolepis live wire, is the one I like, shorter ones think Lazula, Ornithpogon, tall ones you can use Pennisetum, a favourite of mine is Vertigo goes almost black, looks great in a tall pot with white trailing Petunia or a trailing white Allysum like lobularia snow princess, and in varying sizes you can use Phormium, another cracking grass type is Hakonachloa in various colours, a new one I am playing with this year is sunflare, a golden yellow which turns redbin autumn. There are others like Acorus and panicum, but I dont use or grow these much, perhaps next year.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
      +93
      Fantastic, thank you very much! I already have two juncus effusus in the pond so that could work nicely to blend the pond and the new area together.

I will get googling!