1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

green beans?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by poohpouri, Mar 13, 2011.

1. poohpouri

poohpouri Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    hi i'm looking thru seed catalouge and trying to find green beans to grow as daughter loves them! but i'm confused.com and dont know what to order? Anyone suggest any that r easy to grow?

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,508
    If you are referring to runner beans then an excellent allrounder is Polestar. Easy to grow (as are most runners), crop reasonably early, are quite prolific but best of all are tasty and stringless :dbgrtmb:

I grow 150 - 200 plants every year and have gradually gone over to having at least 75% of them Polestar. I do grow other varieties as some are better in rainy, cold weather and others are better in hot drought. This allows me to get early and late beans no matter what the weather. It is not practical to do this unless you are able to grow lots of plants.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Ah, well, if you are asking here you'll get 3 opinions from 2 people :thumb:

We prefer French beans so grow climbing French (about 75% climbing French, and 25% Runners). We prefer the flat bean, so grow Limka, and Blue Lake (a tubular shaped bean, like "Harricot") is popular.

4. poohpouri

poohpouri Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    after green beans we normally buy them frozen from tescos they are green long and round (dont know if that helps) normally my 10 yr old daughter eats them and asked the other day if we could get seed so she could grow them

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,508
    If they are round and bought in the supermarket under the name of green beans then they are known as french beans from the growing point of view.

You can get these as dwarf, bush or climbing (sometimes known as pole beans). There are lots available and you can google 'french beans' and look through the different varieties. Almost all the varieties are good and they are easy to grow.

6. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117
    I bought a packet of French Bean seeds in Poundstretcher last year (I had no idea of the varieties etc as I was a complete novice to growing veggies) and they are easy as pie to grow. I bought 2 bean planters (like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bean-Pea-Plan...dow_Boxes_CV&hash=item45f481be56#ht_646wt_905) and had 3 plants in each bag, mine has slots to put canes into so you tie them at the top like a teepee and the bean plants can climb the canes for support.

Our crop last yr was very generous indeed. So much so I bought more seeds yesterday to do them again this year :D