1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Green poly tunnels

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by freeflow, Feb 5, 2018.

1. freeflow

freeflow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

are green poly tunnels any good to grow strawberries and tomatoes between April and October or should we go for clear ones?

Thanks

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Do you mean the cheap tunnels that have the green check covers? If so the answer is yes.

Steve...:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • freeflow

freeflow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Yes the ones on eBay etc, i believe they are checkered

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,698
      Yup, there are quite a few of us here with those types of tunnel. I still have one even though I have a big commercial one too.

Steve...:)

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      I started with one of the green ones which got me going on tunnels, then I went for a clear 27’ x 15’tunnel

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      The ones with 'green' covers are normally much, much cheaper than those sold with clear covers.

Green covers start rapidly deteriorating after a couple of years, so can either be replaced when the polythene between the mesh begins to shower down, or immediately re-sell the supplied cover on ebay to cover half the cost of a proper clear cover.

But, in my opinion (having two 6m x 3m of them) the quality/value for money of the 25mm dia. galvanised frames sold with green covers is good enough to either start with original covers, or change to clear.

P.S. Depending on where you're located, you might be a tad optimistic expecting being able to grow tomatoes from April, as I've had temps as low as -3 deg C in my tunnels at the end of May.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
        Last edited: Feb 5, 2018