Greenhouse foundation on lawn

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Barry79, May 24, 2020.

1. Barry79

Barry79 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I recently purchased my first greenhouse (Vitavia Phoenix), which will be arriving in a few weeks. Its dimensions are 8 foot by 14 foot. I wish to place it in a sunny spot on the lawn. The greenhouse comes with six anchor legs that attach to the steal frame. According to the instructions, six holes are to be dug for these legs before filling the holes with concrete. Do people here think that this should be adequate support to avoid warping of the greenhouse or should I build some kind of foundation?

Thanks,
    Barry

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi. I’ve had a quick look, and my thoughts are that it should be fine as is, it looks pretty substantial. Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but worth mentioning that it’s vital to make sure you get the levels right, and that it’s perfectly square. The last thing one needs is to extricate those anchor legs from concrete.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Barry79

Barry79 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks for your reply Freddy!

• Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
      +491
      On that subject, if you need to set anything accurately into concrete, you want to build the frame first and *then* pour the concrete. The other option is to lay concrete with nothing set in it, and then drill appropriate holes for anchor bolts.