1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse Heating

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Lizz, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Lizz

Lizz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi can anyone tell me the cheapest and affective greenhouse heating please.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    The sun
    No seriously, I use electric, but you must have a good thermostat one that does keep a steady temp. You can leave it to get on with it. Problem--- Power cuts. But I still think its best.

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Paraffin is the older method, but you can get problems with too much moisture if the greenhouse isn't well ventilated, + you cannot control the heat as well as what Pete has said already.

Nathan.

4. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Putting a layer of "bubble wrap" all over the inside walls & roof is cheap and acts as excellent insulation thus keeping the cost of whatever heating source you use down. Just take it down when the weather allows and use it again next year.

5. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have built a propagator,undersoil cable with thermostatic control,with 24" high frame covered with bubble cover. And overwinter all my tender plants in there. I have had 1 in use for 25 years now,8x4 and still works perfect, just replaced some sand now and again. Hardly noticed bigger electric bill.Can set u to 70 F. but in most cases 45-55 is all they need.