Greenhouse newbie

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by IanM, Jun 21, 2008.

1. IanM

IanM Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings all. I have just joined the group and I look forward to reading the boards and sharing in the discussion.
    I am pretty much a newbie gardener. I took early retirement last year and I am now starting to enjoy my garden, having spent the last 3 months building walls and beds! I have now put up my first greenhouse and I plan to do the usual stuff with tomatoes etc next year. My question now is, what can I do with it this year? It is a 6'x6' and is in a position such that one side is partially shaded whilst the other side gets the sun for most of the day.
    I hope to sow bedding plants for the garden in readiness for early planting next year but for now I would be happy for any tips. In fact, I would be happy for any tips at all to help me get the most out of the greenhouse.

Thanks

Ian

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Might be worth looking in your local garden centre in case they have any knackered, overly tall, poorly nourished tomato plants that they will let you have half price - or better!. They might have cucumbers too.

Pot them in a 10" pot, or two to a grow bag, and have a go!

Take out all the side shoots - I expect anything neglecting in a garden centre will be looking like a bush by now!

You could also get some Fushia plants, or begonias, whatever takes your fancy as a potted plant.

You could perhaps grow Freesias or Cyclamen in pots to bring into the house, but I expect its too late to sow seed for them.

You might find some suitable plans on eBay, but I think that the additional cost of postage is the killer when buying the odd plant or two on eBay

3. IanM

IanM Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kristen, I will look into that! I have a couple of tomato plants outside in a sheltered spot at the moment and they are doing quite well so I am reluctant to move them to the greenhouse. They are quite happily starting to fruit. I will look into the fuchsia's as well. I guess it is too early/late to grow anything from seed for this year? What about fruit like blackcurrant etc?

Ian

4. T Digger

T Digger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome and best wishes for your retirement, the ultimate luxury is to wake up in the morning and decide what you are going to do. You may still find the odd chilli, sweet pepper or aubergine plant for sale in a GCentre, you could even try a cucumber or two from seed, they germinate quite quickly though a plant will give you a head start. You also have time to sow perrenials like dahlias or delphiniums to overwinter and ready for next year, either way enjoy the new greenhouse.

5. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Ian and welcome to G.C,unfortunatly you are a bit late to sow a lot of things this year,but you can still get away with sowing a couple of things like pak choi on the vegetable side or on the flower side you have sweet wiliams or forget me nots you will JUST get away with.