1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse or polytunnel?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Paul4321, Mar 10, 2020.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,246
    I started with a 10*8 Eden that I put on a base of hardcore, with the ground anchors in postcrete then topped with granite chippings, nice dry floor all year round. This rapidly became crowded all year round. I recently added a 12*12 Rhino; again on a similar base, one advantage of a rocky garden, topped with granite chippings. Currently plenty of space although shelf space is at a premium in spring time, mainly due to a growing collection of spring flowering bulbs that don't like the winter wet.
    @Paul4321
    Rhino are very good, pricey, but include a lot of things as standard that other makes have as extras. Make sure you get plenty of roof vents and consider louvres in the sides. I have 4 single panel vents in the Eden roof and 2 double and 2 single in the Rhino. I would strongly recommend getting auto openers for the roof vents as they make life a lot less stressful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Coachman

Coachman Gardener

Retired Brit
      Ratings:
      +61
      Amen to the point that a 12 x 8 will be too small, too soon, but the benefit of aluminium models is that you could always build your own bigger house @, say, 5m x 4m at a later date and put the smaller one up for sale. If you go that route, explore the idea of utilising standard sizes of materials to avoid offcuts etc. that can add to your expense. Poaching other manufacturers' existing technology (outside the greenhouse world) can produce all sorts of possibilities.

• Paul4321

Paul4321 Gardener

Company director
      Ratings:
      +27
      Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    • Paul4321

Paul4321 Gardener

Company director
      Ratings:
      +27
      Thanks for advice. Well worth remembering this advice for a later date :bigthumb:

• Paul4321

Paul4321 Gardener

Company director
      Ratings:
      +27
      Hi Nigel,

I like the idea of individual anchor points using postcrete. Using as little concrete as possible to meet my needs is appealing, not only for environmental reasons but also labour and of course that old devil........ time.
      Can I be a little nosey and ask you about your anchor system?
      Firstly, do the anchors come with a Rhino or are the anchors something that would be considered as an extra to buy? If anchors are supplied would I have to buy extra for the windy area I live in?
      How many anchors should I use on a 12’x12’ do you think?
      How deep do the anchors go into ground and is one bag of postcrete sufficient for each anchor or do you recommend using more than one bag?

Apologies for the questions but I just want everything in my mind before I purchase the green house.

Best regards,
      Paul

• Paul4321

Paul4321 Gardener

Company director
      Ratings:
      +27
      Thats a cracker, love the look of it. Thanks for info. Will look into Palram as well.

• Like Like x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,246
        @Paul4321
        The 12*12 comes with 6 anchors. These are long bolts, about 9" long if I remember right, that are concreted in on soil and fasten to reinforced points on the base. On hard surfaces the reinforced points are bolted to the hard surface. In my case the base is hardcore and the bolts go down into that and then had postcrete poured in. A couple of bags should be more than enough. They are included in the price,the only extras I added were shelving and staging.

• Like Like x 1