1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

greenhouse pests

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by cazza, Apr 4, 2005.

1. cazza

cazza Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Can anyone help with my problem? Inherited a full size greenhouse with my new house and was originally going to scrap but now thinking again due to cost of bedding etc. Anyway as it was full of rubbish I started to clear it out but found the soil under the benches over-run with ferns and ants.Taken out most of the ferns which I may re-use for underneath the Kilmarnock willows in the garden (nothing else has survived due to the lack of light) but wondered what would be the most effective way of losing the ants -yuck!

2. greenhouse goblin

greenhouse goblin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi cazza, dont know much about ants as i dont have any, but i would much rather have your problem than mine, SNAILS during summer months i get hundreds of them, i have tried every method going and still dont have any luck getting rid.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have them under the slabs in my greenhouse, and they are only a problem when they fly. Keeping aphids and other pests out of the greenhouse seems to keep them in bounds for me. But you can use an ant bait like nippon, in containers at the base of the struts supporting the staging - which should keep them under control.

4. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    What about keeping a pet armadillo or aardvark? :D

5. greenhouse goblin

Ratings:
    +0
  6. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have some on my patio already, but let my Bantams catch them, great fun watching them keep the number down, at least for another day lol
    You tried to put some sugar down, they all race to it and watch them carry the grains in their nest....that's where they live, lol.Follow meeeee ...lol

7. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My biggest pest in the greehouse was the mother-in-law! Whenever I escaped for a bit of peace and quiet to the greenhouse out she would come to tell me what I should be doing/growing etc. Talk about back seat gardening! I tried to get her to hold onto one of the greenhouse fumigating bombs once while I let it off but she wouldn't play...that's when I resorted to Jeyes Fluid in her tea ;) .

PS Try boiling water (on the ants, not your mother in law).

8. cazza

cazza Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your advice.Glad to see a sense of humour too - god knows - we all need it with this horrendouse weather!
    Local pet shop trying to locate ant-eating animal but if all else fails - can you teach a 10 yr old cat??

9. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    my Cats watch Ants with Intrique and stamp on them try to catch them, funny to watch them..but never catch any lol too well fed lol.

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    Leaf cutter bees, used to watch them for hours,wern't doing any harm I thought, then I realised they were making their 'grub chambers '(dont know the right name for them) in the drainage holes of my cacti pots.
    Some pots had hardly any compost left in them. Must have been attracted to the fine sandy soil.

11. greenhouse goblin

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bayleaf,
    Just looked back on your post on coffee-on-snails,i get overrun with them in summer, as soon as my bedding plants go in the ground there they are.Are there any plants not to spray, will it harm any,cos i will go nuts with this coffee thing if it will get shut,i have tried every method going exept this one, hope it works.

12. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The coffee prevents the snails from sleeping and eventually they die of exhaustion [​IMG]

13. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi GG

I spray with abandon (coffee that is :rolleyes: ) on any plants that snails like . Have to be persistent, & don't waste money on expensive coffee - cheap rubbish works best! Try nematodes for slugs too - now is a good time to start. I still go out & pick 'em off & liberate them in the local park (or if I can't be bothered in a well sealed bag in the bin :D ) Am experimenting with copper matting this year will let you know how it works. All my snails are so sluggish A bit of coffee makes no odds!!!! LOL

14. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Copper matting and tape is getting a lot of press lately, I would also be intersted how you get on with it Bayleaf

15. Ray P

Ray P Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cazza
    Ants are difficult to eradicate, remove as much cover for them as possible and Nippon is the answer but making their environment unsuitable will make them move on. And Bayleaf the answer to slugs/ snails is to create a pool which will bring frogs/toads to your garden and they will feed on the slugs /snails and the pool will give lots of pleasure. Two or three years is neede to get the balance. Hope this helps anyone reading this
    Ray