1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Grow Potatoes from true seed

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Mike77, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Has anyone ever grown potatoes from true seed?

I have a volunteer popped up from my Purple Majesty potatoes I planted last year. I remember they fruited last year and it has again this year. This year i have planted Highland Burgundy. So possibly a cross between the two but who knows.

So I see that I can collect the seeds from the fruit and plant and end up with my own potato. Sounds like an interesting project. The source i have read suggests planting in winter as they take longer to develop. So I think indoors but when exactly? This year or next?

Would be interested to know if anyone has done it and what were the results.

Mike

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,057
    It will be pot luck what turns up (forgive the pun) a cross between the two will produce possibly poorer offspring - who knows you might get something better it's all down to genetics. Be careful sowing potato seed in the winter they are frost sensitive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
      +172
      Yup appreciate it would be totally pot luck. It is really only a little side project. I'm thinking of starting the seeds off indoors in pots in the new year then transplanting out.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,698
      • Like Like x 1
      • JWK

Ratings:
        +46,057
        It's an interesting project Mike, I'd treat them like tomatoes from seed as they are the same family. Sow in mid march and once germinated keep them on a well lit cool window sill to prevent them going leggy.

• Like Like x 1
        • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
          +172
          Good link I have had a skim through it.

I now see my spare room filled with potato seedlings next march and then half my garden dedicated to potato production. Perhaps this isn't a good idea! I grew tomatoes for the first time this year and am hooked.

Really like the idea of having my own house strain of potato. According to the thread linked every seed in the pod would produce a slightly different genetic variation. I will have to plant them all.

• Like Like x 1
          • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
            +172
            Here is a wee pic of some of the potato fruits. None of the other potatoes I planted this year or last produced any, just the purple majesty.

Attached Files:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,663
            I seem to remember doing this many years ago when I was a keen youngster;):snorky:

Think I ended up with a couple of very scabby potatoes, but it was a long time ago.
            Sowed in very early spring.

Not quite the same thing but I've also tried stem cuttings, just ended up with one spud per plant.:biggrin:

• Informative Informative x 1
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +46,057
              You probably know this but those fruit are not yet ripe, you need to let them fully ripen before harvesting them for seed.