Growing fruit and vegetables

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by sweetiex, May 10, 2017.

1. sweetiex

sweetiex Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Does anyone know if you can plant loganberry and glen lyon raspberries near to each other?
    Also will gooseberries be ok near the raspberries?
    The plan is to grow them all up one side of our fence.

2. sweetiex

sweetiex Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Hi guy's just sharing a pic of our garden been busy getting our shed arch and arbour built,planting the fruit tree's all five of them and looking after our flowers fruit and vegetable patch also the constant watering it's a full time job,the lawn has been proving to be a pain ended up pulling the nets up and raking and seeding again those damn blackbirds eating the seeds argh,now we're thinking of putting wooden deck tiles bottom left of the garden on the soil for garden furniture,it will help use some of the garden up as the growing of the lawn is a headache no idea how this decking will go down,full of ideas and not a clue how to do it lol :)

DSC_1692.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,124
      Sometimes the best way to garden.. ;):biggrin:

Love it @sweetiex it is starting to take some shape now and as you plant, it will establish.. Lovely piece of ground to develop.. :SUNsmile::thumbsup: Have fun and enjoyment, thats what it is all about I think and learning just comes along the way.. :thumbsup:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • sweetiex

sweetiex Gardener

Ratings:
        +40
        Thanks @Marley Farley we sure are learning and the hard way at times but trying to keep going at it,we also have a front garden with two borders with plants and some pots so more to look after,the neighbour's are used to a messy overgrown wasteland with previous tenant's so I think it's nice for them also and such a transformation,i'm so happy to have found gardener's corner :smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,486
          Looking great there and huge potential sweetiex......exciting despite the work involved :rasp:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • sweetiex

sweetiex Gardener

Ratings:
            +40
            Another pic from a different angle showing our veg and strawberry patch coming on,we added sweetcorn and two types of carrots they were planted late as we weren't sure were they were going at first,the peas are growing nicely and the strawberries have small green fruit showing so straw was put under them,the grass seeds are growing slowly 2nd time round along with the weeds my patience is so not good,we decided not to bother planting potatoes and sprouts we have enough to look after already,so the area behind the shed I might plants some flowers instead and make it look pretty and I'm worried about the apple trees,i'm watering them really good but one has curled leaves and has apples growing and the other has the white powdery mildew which we cut some off but parts of the tree looking a bit iffy though apples also growing,we want the trees to grow for privacy and because the garden is too open looking. DSC_1667.JPG

• Like Like x 1
            • Verdun

Ratings:
              +17,486
              Your watering sweetiex........are you watering lots but not much at a time? (Re mildew). Far better to water generously once or twice a week right now. Watering a little at a time is not good and does nothing for mildew. And mulch thickly to retain moisture :)

• Informative Informative x 1
              • sweetiex

sweetiex Gardener

Ratings:
                +40
                I'm watering every few days with the hose @Verdun and every day over a week ago as it was very hot,mulch is down already I understand this keeps moisture in and I'm putting some down today on the 2nd apple tree with curled leaves,this pic is of the curled leaved apple tree which I'm more concerned about.

DSC_1684.JPG

• Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,486
                Hmmmm! I would remove some of those apples tweetiex....dont shoot me but I would remove them all. Your tree should concentrate on growth right now
                When did you put stake in? It is very, very close.
                I would make a recess around your tree about 60 or 80 cm dia, soak well and then apply a heavy mulch....not right up to the trunk....of dried manure mixed with compost :)

• Like Like x 1
                • sweetiex

sweetiex Gardener

Ratings:
                  +40
                  Oh I'm not sure about taking the apples away @Verdun I will speak to my husband and see what he says,are you thinking the leaves are curled because there is too much concentration on the apples? i am surprised at how many there is to be fair the tree is young we just bought it last month both are james grieve.
                  DSC_1537.JPG
                  The tree and stake was put in a few weeks ago we watched were the roots were positioned before staking,all the trees have been staked close is this wrong?

The trees have their own special kind of compost and mulch here is a pic of the cherry tree,the mulch too close? is there a reason not to have it close to the trunk?

• rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,946
                  My understanding is that it needs to be angled facing the wind direction. Therefore holding the tree upright. Staking straight as you have done will allow the tree root to rock in the wind. There was a good piece on beechgrove garden about staking trees about 3 or 4 weeks ago. You may still be able to download it.

Rusty

• Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,486
                  Mulch too close to the trunk could rot it....just an inch or two away is fine.
                  If you had put the stake in after planting you could have damaged the roots that's all. Keep it there now.
                  By keeping the fruit on the tree it is expending energy it prob doesnt have....better to concentrate on growth for this year. It will prob jettison some fruit if not all anyway soon....the "june drop" .
                  You have given trees plenty of clear/ ungrassed space...that's excellent sweetiex :smile: