1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing ivy up the house?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Dragonfly Dianne, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Dragonfly Dianne

Dragonfly Dianne Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    Looks well in control, I think it will look lovely once it get going in my back garden, and keep it under control :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dragonfly Dianne

Dragonfly Dianne Gardener

Ratings:
      +52
      Wow bet that looked stunning!

• Like Like x 1
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Update on the Virginia Creeper from post #13.
        I pruned (hacked ) it back last winter to just above the Red begonia basket below. It has grown about 10 feet this year and the foliage is very thick and lush . The first leaves are tinging red now , should be quite a show in a few weeks !
        20150826_185344.jpg

• Like Like x 5
        • nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
          +93
          I have been nurturing some green ivy at the front of my house and wondering about keeping it under control. It's already reached the top of my lounge windows so I'll need to get a little step stool out if I want to cut that back, but I was wondering: can it grow on metal?

You see, my house is a 1950s ex-council post-war pre-fab job and the top half is clad in steel. I'd hate to faff about with a stool (not a lot of stable ground in front of my window) if it won't grow above it anyway!

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,836
            I've found Ivy will grow on most surfaces. I creosoted my rear fence and Ivy, initially, wouldn't grow near it.....but after a couple of years it is growing up the fence quite happily.:dunno::coffee:

• nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
            +93
            Indeed, answered my own question earlier! Came home and happened to look up and yes, it certainly can grow on steel cladding :snork:

Seeing the pics above though (and the ease of pruning description) I think I'm going to pull the ivy out and get a virginia creeper :smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1