1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing melon

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Cannyfullpots, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Cannyfullpots

Cannyfullpots Gardener

Ratings:
    +515
    i bought some melon seeds from France a couple of years ago..I whacked them in this year after forgetting about them last year -
    Hey presto
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Theyre on 2 different plants. Has anyone ever grown melon & is there anything special I should do?

• Like Like x 1
    • GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
      +178
      Well done so far. I have flowers, they die, get eaten, I don't know and then I have more flowers. Loads of foliage. Trim it back every now and again. They take up a lot if valuable space - wont be bothering next year. Its the same with cucamelon. May even ditch the cucamelon this week as again they are taking up space. Hope your become lovely and juicy. :) WP_20150810_017.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
        +178
        I have now ditched my cucamelon. Waste of time and taking up space. I have cut many of the leaves on the regular melon and have attempted to pollinate with a cotton bud. Fingers crossed something positive happens.

• Cannyfullpots

Cannyfullpots Gardener

Ratings:
        +515
        I've only taken the first 3 or 4 leaves off mine as they had turned yellow.
        Heres hoping your melon takes!
        Ive put mine in plastic cages to stop the pesky birds nibbling at them!!
        image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
        • Cannyfullpots

Cannyfullpots Gardener

Ratings:
          +515
          I took this pic on sunday. They dont seem to be growing an awful lot - will be chopping off some leaves i think to see if that helps. image.jpg

• Like Like x 1