1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing mushrooms

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Matthew Bishop, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Matthew Bishop

Matthew Bishop Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'v been looking into increasing my winter food production and it occured to me that growing mushrooms I'm just unsure as to how to go about it. I get the occasional field mushroom (edible) which are very nice but i'd like more. Do i need to buy the spores? or can i just pinch them from the existing mushroom population? Will i need to heat the growing area?
    i'v got an old book on the topic but it insists that i need to make or purchase mushroom compost.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
  2. kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,858
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
      +172
      I have not grown mushrooms but am about to attempt it. I've ordered some wine cap spawn and a shiitake log. The wine caps apparently grow well in wood chippings. I wood chip some of my borders and paths to keep the weeds down so plan to spread the spawn around in there and see what happens.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Wood chippings will probably work well, had some morrels come up on their own in some.

Keep them damp, but bear in mind you're not growing in a sterile medium so anything could come up.

I used to work on a mushroom farm and even using sterile compost we still got the occasional rogue mushroom come up.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
          Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
          Ratings:
          +10,514
          AI live 20 mins from the largest Mushroom growing area in the USA.

• Like Like x 1