1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing mushrooms

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by brookhouse, Jul 22, 2010.

1. brookhouse

brookhouse Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of growing mushrooms. I get the impression it's not as straight forward as I originally thought although I have yet to really research the issue.

My original plan was that once DH has mowed the lawn for the last time this year I will load the entire compost heap into a series of daleks, pop a load of well rotted manure from next door on top and then just sew a load of mushroom spawn into the manure and wait and see what happens.

However, I think I may end up buying ready spawned mushroom compost instead as there seems to be difficulties getting it all going.

Does anybody have any experience or advice?.

Susanna

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Susanna,

I worked on a mushroom farm for a year. To get a regular crop it was all very well controled in heated tunnels where the humidity was kept at 98 %.

However, the crop was over commercially after 3 to 4 pickings, I used to dig the spent compost into my veg plot & I would have mushrooms coming up everywhere. Digging some in under turf would probably get you good results, but you'd have to get compost in which the spawn was still alive. No good getting it from a garden centre where it might have been sat for a month or two.