Growing out of season in a large split greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by pooky2483, Apr 26, 2020.

1. pooky2483

pooky2483 Apprentice Gardener

Full Time Carer
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently growing a small selection of veg in a temporary greenhouse attached to the back of our bungalow and hopefully, when this poxy virus has gone and a property my wife is selling has sold, we will be getting our back garden done over and will be getting a 16' X 10' split greenhouse and having one half for cold plants and the other half for warm plants
    [​IMG]
    What I hopefully plan on doing is growing veg out of season all year round so we have a continuous supply of veg.
    Has anyone else tried this or are currently doing this and have got any helpful tips or advice

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,482
    One thing springs to mind is that light can be as important as temperature and in winter the days are shorter and the sunlight less intense. It really depends on what you want to grow, leaf and root crops would probaply be fine with a bit of extra heat, but any fruiting crops and you will probably need supplementary lighting qaas well as the heat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • pooky2483

Full Time Carer
      Ratings:
      +0
      Here's a list of what I would want to be growing;
      Beetroot, Beans/Peas, Broccoli, Brussels, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Cress, Leek, Lettuce, Onion, Parsnip, Swede, Sweetcorn, Turnip & Watercress & Herbs (I know I can grow these indoors too).

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,435
      Many on your list grow quite happily outdoors just choose the right variety for each season for cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels, brocolli, calabrese, swede and turnip. Add to your list kale and spring greens and you can harvest throughout the year outside.

You really need growlamps to get the other veg that has a traditional season. The only thing I have ever found that grows in a greenhouse without lights over winter is lettuce and it doesn't grow very fast.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • JWK

Ratings:
        +46,435
        I guess the easiest things to try would be leafy veg like spinach, but again you can find hardy varieties that stand over winter outside anyway.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • pooky2483

Full Time Carer
          Ratings:
          +0
          I've hardly got any outdoor garden space as we will be having the back garden slabbed and I will be building a raised bed for my OH and that will be her little spot to plant what she wants. That's why I plan to grow what I can in the greenhouse.

• JWK

Ratings:
          +46,435
          Ok so no outdoor space, can't say I know too much about growing out of season under glass, except I would avoid all brassicas indoors because they are unpleasantly smelly and will attract white fly. I would suggest herbs. Maybe your idea of watercress too but I have no experience with it sorry

Getting lights would undoubtedly help with more exotic stuff.

• Like Like x 1