Growing peppers and tomatoes in small plastic greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Sardo Numspa, Apr 6, 2013.

1. goosegog5555

goosegog5555 Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +134
    :ThankYou: This post has really cheered me up . I think I will ( again).. get a mini Greenhouse this year . I will remember to weigh it down after mine too came crashing down and blew into the field last year

2. Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
    Ratings:
    +7,491
    I weighed mine down with a concrete paving stone but the frame moved and the thing still came crashing down but didn't go far. I still lost some plants so really have a think about how you anchor it to stay put. :)

3. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117
    I know this post is a wee bit old but I wanted to comment. I'm currently using a pop up greenhouse (4 tier), I've been using it for seedlings once theyve gotten to about 5cm in height.

Currently I have a load of seedlings on the lower shelf and I have 5 pepper plants on the top shelf. They are all doing great, I do agree with the comment above about plants cooking in the sunshine, I'm lucky enough to work from home so I can go out and unzip the "door". But yer! I got mine from Aldi or Lidl. I'd def recommend trying! I keep a bucket of soil on the very bottom shelf, and it's sat in a corner which has the house on one side and a 6ft fence at the back of it, so plenty wind shelter but also plenty sunshine

4. Sardo Numspa

Sardo Numspa Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Better late than never.

I have been starting my tomatoes and pepper seedlings in one of these "blow aways" with a stack of bricks securing it and the results have been good.

As far as pests go, I need to be careful to keep the bigger plants away from the sides as once a slug finds it's way inside it's open season for them on my plants.

The plastic covering is starting to show some wear and I am doing my best to patch it up with tape, depending on how it looks next season I may replace it or buy a glass one.

I am not as lucky as you to work from home (jealous) but I have not yet had a problem of the plants getting too hot in there.

Thanks for the response.

• Informative Informative x 1