Growing pumpkins in containers?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Raelinn, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Raelinn

Raelinn Apprentice Gardener

Glazing lab rat
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is it worth a try? I tried last year but planted them way too late in the year and without any idea what I was doing (throwing seeds into a tub), only hoping for a couple for halloween. This year I want to grow lot's of different veg but give it a real good try this time and actually get educated on it all.
    I've read quite a bit, brought some seeds and watched some videos online but I don't see many UK people growing pumpkins and I havn't seen anyone growing them in containers.

Just asking is it worth trying at all? Also new here and new to gardening, sooo hello :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      You'd need to feed them a lot in containers, they're very hungry plants that put on a lot of growth.

Last container I grew one in was a one ton dumpy bag full of compost. Needed a lot of watering though.

• Raelinn

Raelinn Apprentice Gardener

Glazing lab rat
      Ratings:
      +2
      Ok I'm well off the and need to get a bigger container. What kind of size/weight did you get? I'm afraid of growing anything in the land because of the neighbours, don't want anything going into their garden.

Thanks for the reply.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,301
      Pumpkins need a lot of space so you would need a massive container for the root system and lots of space for them to sprawl around once they get going. They will do much better in open ground.

Having said that I just googled and found these, so provided you get a Patio variety you could do OK:
      http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/...es/Patio+Gardening/Pumpkin+Windsor_150360.htm

We have a thread going for those of us giving them a go this year:
      http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/the-pumpkin-growing-and-carving-challenge-2015.88334/

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,301
      Welcome to the forum BTW :)

• Richard360

Richard360 Super Gardener

Bulider
      Ratings:
      +1,069
      Hey welcome to the forum
      I would say grow it in the land it is not invasive and will be killed 100 % buy the winter even if it di so will not grow into your neighbours garden at all the vine will trail along the floor but is easy moved or trained where you would like it grow
      Dig a bit of a hole and add some compost and plant the pumpkin it that they need lots of water and feed so a pot will not really get much off one really hope that helps

• Adendoll

Adendoll Super Gardener

Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +1,308
      Hi Raelinn
      Welcome to the forum!
      I have a distant memory of a TV gardening programme, where I think that Alys Fowler(?) met a revered veg grower, Joy Larkcom.
      Their tip for growing Pumpkins/ Squash in a limited space was to peg down the stalk. If I remember correctly they planted the pumpkin in one corner of the veg bed and pegged it around the perimeter of the bed as it grew, bringing it back on itself as need be. This left the centre of the bed to grow other crops. Think the programme was A to Z of gardening which is often repeated on BBC (? V for veg or P for pumpkin?)
      I agree with all above about them being very greedy, the best pumpkins grown near us are at the local stables where they are grown directly into the dung heap!