1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing roses from seeds

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Louise, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Louise

Louise Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Just coming out of my winter hibernation :yawn:
    As anyone here ever tried growing roses from seed and with any success?
    I thought I'd try it, but reading about it on the web, a lot of American ? sites advise soaking the seeds in a bleach solution and then peroxide and putting the in the fridge for months, is it really that much of a kerfuffle?
    I have put mine in an germinator somewhere warm, but will I be wasting my time?

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,886
    Hi Louise Roses are never a waste of time:WINK1:some roses ,but not many come true to seed,and they do not usually germinate in their first year.you should grow your seedlings on to the stage of flowering,some of the easiest to grow from seed are Rugosas .:)

This might help you.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      More good advice from you, Woo.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Louise

Louise Gardener

Ratings:
        +7
        I only thought about doing this as an afterthought, having seen all the hips on the roses. They have been out all winter so I think they will have got cold already.I have put some in the germinator now and will plant the rest in may. Fingers crossed.
        Thanks