1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing trees in buried containers

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Radiation91, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
    +724
    Hi all,

I'm planning on getting a tree for my smallish garden. I was going to get a tree grown in a container, instead of bare root, take it out of it's container and then put it in a root bag and put that in the ground. The idea is that the roots stay contained which means the lawn doesn't get disturbed, the house foundations don't get disturbed and I will be able to lift out the tree (sounds easier than it is) and take it wih me to my next house.

The benefits are that the tree's container is submerged in the soil, so it will not freeze as easily. The permeable membrane of the root bag means that it can get more water and nutrients too.

What I'm wondering is what I can expect to happen in terms of the health and maintenance of the tree?

I've read a bit about pruning the roots but how often should I expect to do this? The tree in question is a Norway Maple (classed as a medium/large tree). Also, how big would the root bag need to be for healthy growth? I want to give the trees roots enough room to grow, but not make the bag so big that I have to dig a massive hole.

Any advice on this is welcomed and appreciated!

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rad,
    I'm no expert on trees but I've done a little reading up on Norwegian Maple.

It's mature height is 98' with a trunk that can be upto 5' in girth, and, has a large broad crown. Because of the crown it eventually dries out all the area under it and nothing will grow.

It lives upto 250 years.

It causes damage to homes and because it is so fast growing, branches can break off causing more damage due to not being strong enough.

It has a heavy seed crop and a high germination rate, therefore spreads everywhere and is classed as an invasive tree unsuitable for built up areas.

Sorry, but are you sure you want to introduce this beast into your garden ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      In my previous life as a construction professional we'd specify trees in situations like within car parks to be planted in pits lined with geotextile barrier, but hat was to prevent root damage, rather than restrict growth.

There's (was?) some of these trees in my village, but I think all were tree spaded out to make way for some road widening/parking, but I think I know where they are now.

• Like Like x 1
      • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
        +724
        @Anthony Rogers Yeh I've read up on it too... sound pretty menacing right? But everything I've read (and what you've said) is about big trees right? Bonsai trees stay small because their roots are pruned and their branches are also pruned. I was wondering if the root bag and some branch pruning would have the same effect on this tree? :noidea:

The heavy seed crop has made me think differently about it though. I don't recall reading anything about that. I'll look into other trees :scratch:

@Scrungee You said that as if the geotextile barrier wouldn't be able to contain the roots... is that what you meant?

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I think you mean you want a dwarf tree Rad.
        Bonsai trees rarely grow more than 12 inches high and grow in containers.

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
          +724
          @Anthony Rogers haha :heehee: I know what a bonsai tree is! I do have some knowledge :pathd: But can you give a normal tree the bonsai treatment to keep it relatively small (6ft).

• Funny Funny x 1
          • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
            +724
            Ahhhhhaaaaa! Pollarding! It's a technique that actually exists... I'm not a complete numpty :yahoo:

"Pollarding is a method of pruning that keeps trees and shrubs smaller than they would naturally grow. It is normally started once a tree or shrub reaches a certain height, and annual pollarding will restrict the plant to that height."

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              It would constrain the roots, preventing damage to adjacent construction , but wouldn't restrain the growth of the tree as the species planted with their roots within such barriers (and normally started off that way by tree nurseries) were only those that could still grow to their full size.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Pollarding would still only restrict the top growth.
                Have you thought of Eucalyptus, they're easier to control.

• Like Like x 2
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +52,617
                  I have to agree with everything that Anthony has said, this tree really isn't suitable for what you have in mind. There's also the possibility with a tree that has such vigorous growth the roots would break through it's container anyway.

• Like Like x 1