1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Halloween

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The time for vampires, gouls and all the other monsters to roam the streets for something tasty to eat is fast approaching so I just wondered how many of you welcome these dreadfully frightening fiends to your door?:cnfs: :D

Bob and I go the hole hog and decorate the front of the house and pathway to welcome the little monsters to our door, we have balloons, sweeties and the annual favourite glo sticks. I of course dress for the occasion although I can never get Bob to do the same he just 'plays' yard sweeper to be on hand to call over the little'uns and their mums into our yard.

I'm really looking forward to this year and do so hope the weather is nice.

So come on folks do you join in the fun of the witching hour or do you hide behind the sofa and cringe?

Happy Halloween peeps.Hel.xxx.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: Hel, we live at the end of an unlit lane so we don't actually get many....!!!!!:dh::lollol:If any venture to the door then of course, but we don't encourage my lot to go out now.. When they were small & you went too then fine, but of couse they are older now & want to do it with friends..... :( Sorry.... :thumb: That's why we all go for the big family meal with fun & games instead....!!!:lollol:

3. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We don't get that many. The little kids in the street are fine coming round and I'll pass them some sweets, it's the teens that turn up at 10pm that I object to. So this year once 7pm has passed (the time my toddler goes to bed and the little kids in the street have come around) I'll be bunjeeing (is that even a word?) up the front gate so they can't get into the garden. If they still come in over the fence then the 'hound of the baskervilles' can have a little bark ;)

4. UJH

UJH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I get sweets in each year - just in case they turn up but they never do:( so I scoff the sweets instead:thmb:

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,512
    They never come to our place as there are only three street lights in 2 miles of road and it is a long way from the footpath to our doors. So I don't get a chance to do my grumpy old man act :lollol::lollol::lollol:

6. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I've no time for this recent American import of "trick or treat". We certainly didn't do it when I was a kid and I don't know anybody of my generation who did.

Where I live, it has degenerated into teenagers banging on the door and wanting money. Well, they don't get any from me.

7. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206

Oh that's a good idea bobj but too late for today.

We have a steady stream of kids banging on the door and I am sure they either
    tell their friends that sweets/treats are available here or they call round twice!
    Still o/h revels in holding out a lucky-dip back of sweets and chocs. :)

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Jjordie, it would add a whole lot more excitement for the kids if your OH added a couple of mousetraps to the bag.:thmb::lollol::lollol::grn:

9. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    David - that's not nice :wink:

We've actually had about 18 kids knock at the door and glad to say
    it seems to have quietened down now as it has started raining a bit.
    I swear two or three of the 'children' were about 14 or 15 years old.
    Can't imagine that my two would have been knocking on doors for
    sweets when they were that age.

Oh well, roll on Guy Fawkes penny for the guy :scratch:

10. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Since when was Hallowe'en celebrated so much here in England? Having grown up in Ireland, I always thought Guy Fawkes and Bonfire Night was celebrated more than Hallowe'en??

So far (touch wood) we've not had any knocks on the door.

11. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    We had six of them tonight. spose your only young once and times are a changing. 02

12. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    The first that came to the door was a lad about 9 or10 he had all the gear on appart from a mask his parents were at the gate grinning all dressed up so in fun I said take your mask off then I can see who you are,he said you cheeky get I haven't got one on,he was lucky he wasn't drop kicked over the gate along with his grinning parents,typical how some are brought up these days,must say though most of the others that turned up were well mannered and no one turned up after 9 pm we just had to put up with fireworks until the early hours and there was me thinking bonfire night was nov 5th.:scratch:

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I remember doing the rounds in darkest Lincolnshire as a nipper and everyone joined in the fun as we all knew each other's families, Bob and I have only been in this village two years and it's starting to feel as it was when we were both young mostly everyone is pretty friendly.

There has always been something special about Halloween for me (at least) it seems so very magical maybe it's because my birthday is so close to it.

We had a wonderful time but there were so many people who didn't open their doors for the little monsters and other than the odd parent dressing up into the spirit of things we didn't have anyone over the age of 11 and everyone had very good manners.:thmb:

We got plenty of complements about our display so much so Bob and I can't wait for next year!Hel.xxx.

14. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Don't mind giving sweets to the young 'uns ,would even go so far as to say that I enjoy it , it's the teenagers with their hoods up that I don't answer the door to :)

15. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    I would like to say the night passed without incident but it was most disappointing that
    somebody obviously decided that our treats weren't good enough and threw two
    eggs at our window. (Actually I am 99.9% sure it was our neighbours from hell next door!)
    It was really a mess but we decided to deal with it this morning which was a wrong decision
    as it has set so hard on the window we cannot get it all off.

Anyone know of something that will clean it? :(