1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardy Geraniums - help with names please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Heucherella, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Heucherella

Heucherella Gardener

Full time in my garden...
    Ratings:
    +301
    I have lots of hardy geraniums in my new garden, many of which must be self-sown, and I do like to know what things are, so any suggestions welcome.

1. Pink stripy - G. endressi? I have some where the flowers fade from mid pink to almost white, and some that stay a rich candy pink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some have larger flowers than the others - does that mean that they might be a variety, or are they just stronger growing?

2. Small purple flowers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Larger purple flowers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Blue - G. x magnificum? Has very different leaves.

[​IMG]

6. Large magenta with black centre, on a large, lax plant 1m x 1m plus. - G. psilostemon, or variety?

[​IMG]

7. G. macrorrhizum, but is it the species, or a variety?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry to post so many, but I though those of you who, like me, are hiding indoors from the heat of the day, might like something to do! :blue thumb:

2. Mark56

Mark56 Gardener

Ratings:
    +298
    I think the second could be Wargrave pink but there are so many similar pale pink varieties. :noidea:

3. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Full time-Service Director -Human Services.
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +5,622
    I also have a ton of them. thinned out a bunch last year, and this year. still they are huge .mine are just the simple ones. a great tough plant. I gave up long ago to trying to remember variety names of stuff, too much.