1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone Amplifier ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ricky101, Dec 16, 2017.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi ,

Just wondered if anyone into hifi has used one of the separate headphone amplifiers instead of the usual headphone jack output on most hifi units ?

Its said they make a big difference but wondered how true that is and I expect it also relates as to how good the hifi unit is ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,541
      • Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,474
        Evening Ricky :)

I have used them, and yes they do make a considerable difference over some outputs, but it really does depend on your source. There is a vast array of options (as you would expect) and some are much better than others. I am currently using the pre-amp section of a Sony QS amp, which is stunningly good with the right headphones (I am using a pair of Sennheiser HD579 at the moment), BUT - it is large, and although the power amp stages are not in use, they are running and chucking heat out all the time.

A better option would be one of the pre-amps from the likes of ebay or banggood.com - the banggood ones are remarkably good for the money, and when I actually have a few quid, I would like to get one in kit form to build myself, and in particular one with a valve output stage.

Give me a better idea of what you are looking at (type, budget etc), or post a link to anything you have got your eye on, and I will happily advise where I can. And don't worry if the one you want is only available in kit form - if you don't feel up to building it, I will do it for you and simply courier it to you (no labour charges, only the parcel costs).

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,201
          Hi FC,

Thanks for the reply, it sounds like they can be an improvement then.:smile:

Have got one of the original Arcam Solo units with plenty of pre outputs and currently have some old Sennheiser HD470 cans, which I was looking at upgrading which brought me onto the whole headphone amp thing.

Looking at diy options seems there are quiet a few simple designs out there but all basically designed around a simple op amp eg Cmoy or Mini3 eg -
          How to Build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier

After that you are looking as some quiet complex ans expensive builds.

What I have seen is one of these boxes, again sounds like just an op amp but with psu and though costing about £20 new might be able to pick a s/hand one up locally for a tenner.
          Thought that would be a quick way to see how much of an improvement they can be, plus this particular unit allows others to listen in at the same time.
          HA400 | Headphone Amplifiers | Signal Processors | Behringer | Categories | MUSIC Tribe

EDIT , forgot to say, thanks for the offer to build, but I do enjoy that kind of thing myself, just that such circuits can be easy to make an error when building, so thought the Berhinger would be the best way to prove the point.

Plenty of diy or ready made details on this site, if you have not already been there ? though many of the diy designs are quiet old c 2000 etc
          Head-Fi.org
          DIY Projects | HeadWize

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,474
          I wouldn't expect the Behringer unit to give you much in the way of improvement, rather just give you a bit more drive - its the sort of thing that would be used in schools to distribute and split one signal into three.

I tend to think that simple is best when it comes to things like this, so something like the CMoy is appealing - finding or making a suitable enclosure would be the worst bit of it, I think though?

For a simple DIY one, maybe consider this?

DIY HIFI Headphone Amplifier Single Power Supply PCB AMP Kit With Transparent Housing

Admittedly, you will have to wait about two weeks for it to arrive (comes from China) but it is less than a tenner including delivery, and I have to be fair to banggood, their kits are pretty good.

Pre-built, you could spend a bit more and have a nice valve amp - 6J5 Class A Vacuum Tube Buffer Headphone Pre Amplifier HiFi Earphone Amp Preamp

• Like Like x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,201
            Hi FC,

Well the reason for asking on here was for some genuine first hand opinion of headphone amps as will all hifi is a minefield of differing view in shops, magazines and the web.

You did give me an answer that one can improve the sound so thought that little Behringer would be a good ready built choice for a couple of reasons.

It gets very conflicting reports on the web, but some time ago when I wanted to get my desktop pc to talk to my old Arcam Solo with only a standard wired preamp input, I used one of these little units plugged into the PC along with a 5 mtr cable to the Arcam, not expecting the best of results, but was actually very pleasantly surprised with the sound quality.:)
            Comparison- What Is The Difference Between The UCA202 and UCA222?

The Behringer HA400 does have a 4580 op amp at its heart and think the full circuity will be well in advance of the little Cmoy. Will post some pics pf the pcb when it arrives to you to see.

Had seen that Cmoy design but that guy has published a few designs, one with the popular OPA2134 op amp that one you show with a 5532 op amp.
            However Cmoys original design is said to use an old 4556 chip and in some quarters its rated much better than the aforementioned chips, though no Head-Fi org etc.
            This link is interesting, but quiet a heavy review of the chips / designs , but it does have some comment about the valved units as well.

I have ordered a 4556 chip as I have got most other parts anyway to build a unit to test against the Behringer, will let you know how it goes.
            NwAvGuy: Cmoy eBay Headphone Amp

see Paint Shakers in the link about valves NwAvGuy: Virtual Grounds & 3 Channel Amps

This popular valve amp ( £35+ in ebay UK shops) detailed by the infamous Davy Jones, if you know of him ?

• Like Like x 1
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,474
              I know Davy's videos well, and have almost certainly watched that one (although will revisit it now :snorky:) - what are you going to use for an enclosure?

• Like Like x 1
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,201
                Hi FC,

Have not given any thought to an enclosure yet, depends on what results I can achieve with an amp.
                Most of my micro based projects (Pics and Arduino) go into standard plastic cases which allow an opening to be made for the lcd etc and they are generally not on table top display.

For something to sit on or near the hifi would probably look for something better, though not sure what atm, eternal diyers problem !

Never asked what headphone amps you had listened through ?
                Never thought of using the other outputs from the Arcam to drive headphones directly ?
                Assume your Sony amp has got the power to do that ?

Did wonder if there were any more modern circuits for headphone amps as all the ones I have seen are quiet old, but suppose there is not the market to develop anything better with all the audio effort going into online streaming/smart phones etc

My Arcam user manual does not give does not give any figures for the Pre and Zone2 outputs suitable for connecting to another amp etc.
                There is a Tape output but they state it should Not be connected to an amp ?

Seems the heart of the Arcam is a BD3811 audio IC and the headphone output come from a pair of amp amps within that chip.

Suppose if any improvement can be made is just down to the quality of that ICs components vs discrete components ?

000541.jpg

000542.jpg

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,474
                I tried a fairly decent wee unit - cannot for the life of me remember the brand - but it came in a nice ally case a bit like a hard drive enclosure, all solid state/discreet, and had quite a bit of grunt to it too. Like an eejit, I gave it away along with a good pair of AKG headphones and then awhile later though I needed headphones again.

I am using the headphone out on the Sony, but it is a very old design and is driven from the back end of the pre-amp, hence it has much more gain than my ears could handle. The HD579's are incredible headphones, although they are not the most efficient, so when plugged directly into a 'normal' headphone socket they are lacklustre and flat as hell - - - the Sony gives them the boot up the rear that they need. I prefer it this way though, clean signal in (not overdriven) and then amplify with as little interference as possible - net result is powerful, but crystal clear.

Arcam stuff is the dogs dangly bits to be fair - I have a very soft spot for them; it would be nice if you could use your Solo as a base for this, and I cannot think of any reason why they would say you cannot connect an amp to the tape output, other than to make you buy one of their other models...... at the end of the day, it will be a line level output (so <200mV), and I would guess that it would be cleaner than clean knowing Arcam (their PSU's were always amongst the best for having the least ripple on the output side).

If I were you, I would build your amp and try it on the tape output from the Arcam - you have nothing to lose.

You are right though, investment in different designs of headphone amps is not high priority; people moved over to furthering Class D amps instead; whilst they are remarkably impressive in terms of output power for their size, they lack refinement in my book, and you cannot beat a well fettled Class A or even Class AA output.

I'll look forward to hearing how you get on

EDIT - as for discrete components, you would be surprised how some of them really can make a difference; and when it comes to audio, the most important of those is without doubt capacitors - buy the very best you can for these (Rubycon, Nippon Chemicon or Panasonic/Matsushita), and make sure that you smooth the power supply as much as you can on the way in (ripple in = ripple out as you know)

• Like Like x 1
                • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,201
                  Hi again,

Yes, will let you know how things go with the Berhinger HA400 and my little 4556 build, though a few days before they arrive.
                  Forgot to say the HA400 will also have a practical use so two can listen to the same source, the neighbours are early risers so the cans let us enjoy late night music at a volume we like.

When I said discrete, I was really meaning the IC Op amp designs and associate components.

Are you also saying that a real transistor based amp and good components should give a better sound than an IC op amp design ? and thats the better path to follow ?

Will have to get the scope out and do some psu filtering tests, just glad I got an oldish s/h digital one, so much easier to used on the desk; the old Hameg 604 is getting a bit too big and heavy to lug around these days !

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +49,474
                  Better is VERY subjective - I am an old fart, so discrete is my bag; through-hole preferred to SMD..... BUT, that is just me. And to be fair, I do see the merits of the more modern designs, be it IC Op amps or even COBs for their designated purpose.

I have not had access to a scope in years, so I would be very interested in seeing your results if you can be bothered to take the odd pic along the way? The last scope I had was a Philips fellow (3271?) which should tell you how long ago it was........

As there is more than one of you listening the HA400 might be just the ticket - and to be honest, I any Behringer stuff I have come across has always been well designed.

• Like Like x 1
                  • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,201
                    Thought my luck was in !

Trouble is it will not add to the trolley !

000543.jpg

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,474
                    Blimey, that is mega-cheap!!! I paid nearly £300 when I got mine.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,474
                    And I have just successfully added them to a trolley, ready to collect from my local store tomorrow!

If you want them, I am happy to buy them for you, and post them on?

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,201
                    Hi,

Thanks , but just changed browsers and it lets me add to the trolley !

Noticed someone else had asked the Q&A if they were refurbished yesterday and they got an answer saying New , wonder if they got this price then ?

Can they claw back and money once I collect and pay for them ? seems too good to be true as they do not show up in their clearance section ?