1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Heated propagator not heating up

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Paul Blackburn, May 26, 2016.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I have three Steward electric Propagators two standard one's and one Premium one and now the premium one does not seem to be heating up but the other two are fine,Been trying to find out where I bought it from I thought it was Amazon but have checked all my order's and it is not listed.I know it was only bought last summer as I bought the other two the winter before last December/January 14.Not sure what to do maybe contact Steward and see what they say.If it had been a standard one would just bin it.Any ideas anyone.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,117
    Check the fuse?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • IceColdRum

IceColdRum Cacti & Herb Mad

Customer Service Advisor
      Ratings:
      +837
      Yep @JWK suggestion is a good one, when I've had one go it's always been the fuse.

• Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,978
      I think those have a moulded plug, but make sure the wiring and plug are sound as well. Fuse is a good first stop those as suggested.

• Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
      +52
      The first thing I did was change the fuse still not heating up.

• Like Like x 1
      • Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
        +52
        I might try cutting the plug off and fitting another plug with a new 3amp fuse might work if not will just have to use it as a unheated propagator next spring as I cannot remember where I bought this one which is strange as I alway's keep receipts untill the guarantee run's out just in case.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,117
        That's probably all you can do, there won't be any serviceable parts within the propagator.

• Hex_2011

Hex_2011 Gardener

Ratings:
        +134
        I`d have it to bits :) Could be as simple as a wire off or a dry solder joint. If you have a multimeter you can test the heating element for continuity to rule that out. There`s likely to be some sort of thermostat in there, possiblyjust a thermal switch (snap disk type). If the stat/switch is defective it wont heat up even though everything else is good.

• Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
        +52
        I decided to take it to bits but when I got inside could see nothing untoward so put it back together and plugged it back in.That was two hours ago and have just checked it ant it warm.Do not understand what the problem was maybe something had worked loose and me taking it apart fixed it.Will leave it plugged for a while and see what happens.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        One of my Sankey Plantmaster 50w thermostatically controlled propagators failed this Spring after about 3 years. As above I hoped it was simply a fuse (although that might mean some underlying problem that might cause it to fail again at some critical moment and lose some exoensive seeds). When I opened the control box up there was no wires to check, just a PCB, and to get at the heating element would require smashing the plastic base to bits.

Fortunately I've still got 5 other identical propagators.

• Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
        +52
        The propagator is not working again and I just realized it was not one of the Premium models but a standard one.My wife bought me one for Christmas from Amazon and I bought one in my local garden center as they were half price.Problem was I did not know which one was faulty but got in touch with Amazon and they are sending a replacement one which should arrive on Monday and I just need to return the faulty one and they have sent a returns label and I will return it in the box the replacement comes in so hopefully prolem solved.

• Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
        +52
        I was wondering if anyone know's what the difference is between Stewart Premium Heated Propagator and a standard one as I cannot see any difference.

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,881
        The premium is thermostatically controlled, the standard isn`t.