1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Heating in a greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Grottybags, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Grottybags

Grottybags Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm tryin to get my head around this now.

I'm soon to get a potting shed, with plenty of window glass to get as much benefit as I can from not having the space for a shed *and* a greenhouse.

I'm checking out how to keep my seedlings warm in winter and wondered what was preferred by people here.

1) Electric Propogator - had a look, concerned I'd need 6 of the things to keep me in heated space

2) Electric fan heater

3) Soil warming cable - how easy is it to make the boxes to lay the ploystyrene then the cable then the sand into? (not that I'm bothered, that will be the old man's propblem).

Any other options that may be worth looking at?

TIA

Emma

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there - I have a greenhouse - and overwinter florida plants. Some years ago, I bought a thermostatically controlled "hot box" fan heater. Good big fan on it. It can be hung from the roof, but I have it on the staging - and its been brilliant. My greenhouse temperure is never below 5c. It runs from the first frosts in November, until the last frost of april When I sat down and worked out how much extra it had cost me in electricity - it was about �£70-80 for the full 24/7 period, and worth every penny.

3. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Grotty bag ...I tried all types of greenhouse heating over the years, oil,gas,fanheater,but found the best and most ecconomical was the heating cable, thermostatic controlled box made from plywood.
    I have had same propagator 8 x 4 in use for over 25 years and still running. It's 12 " high back and front, and centre to 30 ". Built to apex, reason being, that you can overwinter some taller plants. Back part is glass and front heavy duty bubble wrap just thrown over.
    Don't forget, you can used this box also unheated so not loose any space...just 2" of sand, then cable evenly distributed and 2 more inches of sand, then black bags.
    Try ..autogrow:Electic propagator