1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Heavy clay drainage help

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Smudgedhorizon, Jan 10, 2016.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,505
    You should write to him, Recorded Delivery, giving him two weeks to respond otherwise you will take out a summons in the Small Claims Court.

The Small Claims Court limit has risen to £10,000 so you can easily use that method. You can get the forms from the local County Court. They're not too difficult to fill in. You just give the facts about the problem, state that you have had an independent survey done (and enclose a copy of it if the form asks for it, or put an extract of the report on the form - I don't know what the current forms ask for), say that you have given him many opportunities to put it right and he came round to look at the problem, he asked you for a copy of the report and has not communicated since. Then say how much you are claiming. This should include the cost for another contractor to put it right, any out of pocket expenses and the cost to repair all the damage to the garden. This Small Claims costs should be added to the claim.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Smudgedhorizon

Smudgedhorizon Gardener

Ratings:
      +49
      Thank you so much everyone, especially @shiny for the fantastic advice, would you believe upon receipt of the second letter he had a change of heart and has agreed to come, remove everything he had done, and redo it. My husband is going to help him so it is done faster (reads: oversee everything like a hawk to make sure it's done correctly this time). It's looking like it won't be until the very end of March/first week of April though.

As to helping improve the heavy clay above the drains, my plan of attack so far is this -

Wait for drains to be redone
      Remove and dispose of the very worst of the clay (the solid clay lumps etc)
      Buy a large bulldog trenching fork (the one with really long tines) and fork over all the garden to help loosen the compaction.
      Fork in quite a large amount of mushroom compost
      Leave to settle for a week or so
      Add a few tonnes of topsoil for on top
      Chuck down a lot of grass seed

Does this sound like the right way to go about it?

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,625
      I've not read through all of this post - just picked up the heavy clay soil bit.

The middle 'terrace' of my back garden is heavy clay - no grass just clay soil. Walk on the soil and it compacts into a solid mass.

I've decided to add a number of raised beds - and fill them with topsoil. I'll only walk inbetween the raised beds - so I'm not bothered if it compacts of not. In fact compaction will prohibit weed growth.

My neighbour has taken a different approach - top soil and then turf - which is a lot more work and IMHO a little 'dull' in the Spring/Summer - I don't want to look out onto an expanse of plain green.

I'm not sure how he gets on with pooling water as when he walks on the grass - it must compact the clay to some degree.

• Smudgedhorizon

Smudgedhorizon Gardener

Ratings:
      +49
      That's the issue I have at the moment, the ground is horrible!

Ideally I want nice beds for shrubs/dwarf trees/perennials and a lawn for my daughters to run around on. I have considered raising the entire garden level by a few inches just to aid in drainage.

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,625
      The picture of your garden doesn't look that bad. Mine was worse - I ended up using a mattock to break up the soil just below the surface - it worked - there is no pooling water anymore.

Perhaps raised beds around the outside for shrubs etc and a turfed area in the centre. The best of both worlds and should be easier than turfing/seeding the whole area.

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,625
      In terms of the land drains - compacted clay prevents the water from getting into them - so if you have a lawn over the whole area - the clay will compact and the water will pool - it doesn't really make much difference what is underneath it.

If the land drains are on top of compacted clay - and above them is a relatively loose medium - then they should work.

Raised beds are one way to avoid compaction.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Smudgedhorizon

Smudgedhorizon Gardener

Ratings:
        +49
        Just had to google photos of a mattock @clanless that is some serious weaponry haha! Don't dare let my husband see that, he will definitely want one!

• Funny Funny x 1
        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          Mattocks are brilliant. See if you can find an old one though. I think the newer ones are inferior in their design, if not their quality.