1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Heavy shaded border and best weed killing lawn feed

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Budgecore7, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Budgecore7

Budgecore7 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I posted this is the newbies thread but thought I'd stick the questions in here for someone to answer :)

Front garden has a lawn with small border area. Lawn is currently mingled with weeds so was looking for advice on the best lawn weed killer, best way to apply and time of year to do it? This garden also has a border which is hit by shade up until around 5-6pm in the summer. What kind of easy to maintain flowers can I plant in these borders. Nothing too vigorous as I have a hedge that surrounds it. Again, what's the best time of year to do it, best compost to use etc?

Look forward to hearing from people.

Sent from my Nexus 7

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,192
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Budgecore:sign0016:
    hope you enjoy strolling around whilst you wait for some expert advice,
    Jenny namaste

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,612
    Welcome to GC Budgecore7.

For a straight forward weedkiller, Verdone is one of the better ones, I use this myself when I don't need a weed/feed. I don't remember seeing Verdone in granular form so this one has to be watered in.

You can use it now and up until grass and weeds slow down growth as we move into autumn.

What would you like to see in your borders? Shrubs, climbers, perennial/annual flowers, or all of these? :)

4. Budgecore7

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies. I think flowers is how I want to go at the front. Already got a large hedge so feel anything else will look out of place.

Sent from my Nexus 7

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I've been looking at Selective Lawn Weedkillers as Verdone (which I have used for years) is not killing some weeds in my lawn (in particular what I believe is called Self Heal). Someone recommended Vitax Lawn Clear for that weed - and it contains 2,4-D which Verdone doesn't, so that may be a solution. However, looking at Resolva Lawn Weedkiller it seems to have the most, different, ingredients to Verdone, including the ones that Vitax has that Verdone doesn't, so I'm going to try alternating with that

Looking at the labels online:

Verdone Extra Concentrate 1L = 660 sq.m

white clover, black medick, lesser trefoil, daisy, dandelion, plantain and common mouse-ear

Contains fluroxypyr 10.7g/l, clopyralid 5.4g/l and MCPA 53.8g/l as a micro-emulsion formulation (ME)

Vitax Lawn Clear Weedkiller Concentrate 1L = 600 sq.m

broad-leaved (greater) plantain, ribwort plantain, creeping buttercup, white clover, dandelion and daisy.

clopyralid 6.3g/l, 2,4,-D 27.0g/l, MCPA 31.5g/l

Westland Resolva Lawn Weedkiller Concentrate 1L - 1000 sq.m.

Dandelions, Daisies, White Clover, Yarrow, Buttercups, and Self Heal :blue thumb:

Contions(sic) Dicamba, Mecoprop-p, MCPA and 2,4-D

Westland's website is the only one that does not have a full copy of the product label online. Poor.

By way of example only - Amazon prices:

Verdone Extra Concentrate 1L RRP=£15.93, Offer=£9.99 - 2.4p/1.5p per sq.m.
    Vitax Lawn Clear Weedkiller Concentrate 250ml Price=£5.99 4p per sq.m.
    Westland Resolva Lawn Weedkiller Concentrate 500ml Price=£12.86 2.6p per sq.m.

6. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,612
    Budgecore7, it would probably be best for you to have a look around your local nurseries/garden centres to give you an idea of what sort of plants you want. There are always people working there that will be willing to help you with regards to plants for a shady site. Don't buy annuals now it is to late in the season, but you could invest in perrenials that will grow year after year. Bulbs for spring will also be available now for planting. :)

7. Budgecore7

Ratings:
    +0
    With perennials + bulbs, can they be planted in soil as it is or is compost needed?

Sent from my Nexus 7

8. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,612
    What sort of soil do you have? If it's clay it's probably best to dig it over before planting and maybe add some sand to stop it 'clogging'. But I see no reason why you can't plant straight away as long as you loosen the soil particularly in and around the planting hole.
    Sandy soil would benefit from compost as nutrients tend to gleach away with rain.

It also depends on your attitude to gardening. I have sandy soil and buy plants that thrive in that. My own opinion is if the plant can't survive without a lot of TLC then it shouldn't be there in the first place. :)