1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hedge for privacy and a bit of shelter, or climbing plants on the fence?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by chris667, May 17, 2016.

1. martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
    +10,302
    Gold crest conifers grow quick and can be shaped,
    March 2015
    DSCN7617.JPG

May 2016
    IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG

This time next year they should be around 4ft.

Attached Files:

2. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    If it were me I'd do the willow fencing for instant impact and then grow whatever you like in front of it. If you plant a hedge in front of the fencing and keep the height down then it's not likely to overhang her garden, so one less thing for her to complain about (and it does sound like she might complain about having to cut the hedge on her side).

In terms of what to plant, you could have one plant variety (I like Prunus Lusitanica or good old Privet, which smells lovely if you let it flower) or you could have a row of plants for a more informal hedge which you would have to trim a lot less.

If you've got a dog you need to keep in you'll need something at the bottom of the hedge anyway - we had one in our previous house and the german shepherd still managed to crawl under it, so we had to get a small fence installed in front of it, but if you are going to leave the chicken wire in place along the bottom then that would do the job, so long as the blighter isn't going to try digging under it.

• Like Like x 1
    • chris667

chris667 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +20
      Thanks, merleworld! I might invest in some willow yet.

Is the screening held together with bits of wire any good? It looks convenient.

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,624
      Yes it is - that's the stuff I use in my garden. I've had mine up now for a couple of years - it still looks good. The colour changes with time - it dulls down - and seems to blend into the background.

I've planted cherry laurel as a hedge - you can buy 2m high x 1m wide shrubs for about £40 each - had them trimmed 'square' last year - the hedge now looks like it's been there for years :dbgrtmb:.

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      I would say Privet is one of the best hedging plants available, it is evergreen/semi evergreen. It grows quite fast, it is easy to keep in shape and has a mass of highly scented white flowers.

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,090
      If youre going down the hedge route I`d be inclined to plant it at least 2foot from the fence. This way you can prune the neighbours side so it doesnt grow onto her side of the border. You can prune it right at the right time of the year and not have her hack at it when it begins to grow over the border.
      As said I`d tel her what your doing and why so theres no falling out. Afterall you will be blocking her light.
      BTW beech hedges are good.Wildlife loves mine,nothing to eat but places to hide and frolick.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Except don't plant it alongside a wooden fence because it will push against that fence as it grows.