1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help!!!! A frog's trapped in my pond!!

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Howard Stone, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    I have a pond with straight sides, the top of the water is below ground level and there's a low wall around the perimeter.

A frog has jumped in and cannot get out -- the sides are too slippery. Every time I try to net him out he just goes to the bottom and hides, he's faster than my net.

I've put a piece of pipe to make a ramp but so far he hasn't found it.

What should I do? Is there anything I can buy to prevent future incidents like this. I've seen this on ebay, does it work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swimline-...322?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d30163052

2. Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,435
    Oh gosh, poor little mite. Could you put in a plank of wood to act as a ramp? Or some stones around the outside for them to climb up?
    Could you possibly post a photo please? That will give us a better idea :).

3. philomel

philomel Pottering in SW France

Ratings:
    +846
    Hessian or sacking, any rough material, hung over the edge will give grip. With a vertical sided pond it may help to to put a flat piece of wood or a tile under it to make the slope less steep. However most things will be able to scale rough material. Your frog won't drown after all, but will be best making his own way out after dark
    Good luck :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
      +49
      Here's a photo, you can see the pipe I used.

IMG_0042.JPG

That sounds like sensible advice, I shall buy some sacking next week -- presumably just a bit will do, say along three feet of the edge of the pond. I can just bring it out whenever I see a distressed animal I suppose.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,077
      Trouble with the pipe idea is that when looking to get out the pond they go around the edges looking for a way out, so they go under the pipe.
      They are not likely to find the pipe.
      Philomel's idea is a good one.:blue thumb:

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,101
      A permanent ladder/flat ramp into the pond in the future may be a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
        Ratings:
        +7,491
        Try a ladder made out of plastic coated clematis wire. You'd have to anchor it at the top somehow - maybe with a rock/paving stone.

• Like Like x 1