1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help and Advice Needed By a New Member(Wise Owl)

Discussion in 'Roses' started by wiseowl, Aug 18, 2014.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,902
    Good morning all ,I received this message this morning ,and have been asked to post this by a new member:smile:

Dear Wiseowl
    I'm trying to get a bit of knowledge about gardening, albeit late in life. I have a specific idea I would like to try but I'm not sure it will work and I welcome any advice you can offer.
    My neighbour and I share a mature privet. It's OK, and he likes it, but I would like to add more colour to this 'wall' of dark green on my side.
    My notion is to put two or three creeper roses along the 5/7 meter length. The 'wall is east/north facing with lots of sun in the morning, and (through the privet) into mid/late afternoon. Though I don't know about soil chemistry it it a good growing patch. My questions are:
    1) Can I plant three or more different rose plants and intertwine them against a trellis? Would the interact favourably with each other?
    2) How would I prune them to look decent in the winter - my only 'knowledge' of pruning roses it to cut them down to very small, and this would mean the trellis would be exposed?
    3) Do I understand correctly that I could sustain a constant flowering over several months by 'dead-heading'. Could anyone offer me advice on this?
    4) Any advice on varieties to choose? Also, advice on where to go to get them? The local nurseries are pretty good - do I rely on them, or if they don't have what I want how do I source them?
    Thanks for reading! As you will realise, I'm not very savvy, but I hope my green knuckles may grow into fingers with your advice!
    Thanks
    ps I've just joined gardeners corner, and don't know how to generate an 'open' discussion. If you can throw it wider, I'd welcome a diversity of ideas. Thanks

My return message
    Good morning GreenK the first thing I will do is to put your post in open discussion in the Rose Forum my friend and then you will get wider general advice and lots of help from our Rosarians friends:smile:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
    Ratings:
    +598
    I saw two different coloured plants growing through a privet hedge in France recently: a clematis and a type of pea. I wasn't sure that I liked it but it certainly caught the eye. The hedge was very neat and it looked as though it had been clipped to a line just as if the flowering plants hadn't been there.

It occurs to me that it will be very difficult to keep any additional plants to just one side of the hedge.

• Like Like x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,902
      I take it that when you say (creeping) you are referring to Climbing Roses

Question (1) Yes

Question(2) Climbing Roses you don't usually prune for the first 2/3 years

Question(3)Deadheading will produce more blooms except but only on repeat climbing Roses and not Rambling Roses as a rule,deadheading is simply removing the spent flowers which have finished blooming.

Question(4)You only have one choice for you the Roses to climb a trellis and that is Climbers.
      as for named Roses,just let us know what colours you prefer and then we can make suggestions,and where to purchase them.

I hope that I have gone some way in answering your relevant question ,and if you request anymore advice please don't hesitate to ask:smile: